Wiseco Piston For Xr 200, Will It Fit The Tlr?

wilsonwash8

Yep, stock bore is 65.5 stroke is 57.

Compession ratio is 9:1 and the XR is 10:1 though.

I'm not sure but check out an early ATC 200. Before

the electric start they started with a pull rope and had

fairly low compression. Somewhere around 8.5: 1 if

I remember right.

hEY bRIAN,

pLAYING "WHAT IF": iF THE BOOST IN COMPRESSION WAS NOT ADVISABLE FOR THE TLR APPLICATION, WHAT WOULD HAPPEN WITH MAYBE AND ADDITIONAL HEAD GASET OR EVEN A BASE GASKET? WOULD THAT BE ENOUGH TO LOWER THE COMPRESSION? sHOULDN'T AFFECT THE CAM CHAIN TOO MUCH. wHAT OTHER PROBLEMS WOULD i ENCOUNTER? TIMING? UNSURE AS ALWAYS! I'LL LOOK INTO THE ATC, THOUGH.

Use this handy compression ratio calculator

http://www.csgnetwork.com/compcalc.html

I wouldn't be afraid of the XR piston with a thicker

base gasket.

I have a small laser and I make my own gaskets.

It allows me to use thicker gasket material and it's

cheaper than Honda.

Banging an the calculator some it looks like

.031" thicker than stock gasket would lower

compression from 10:1 to 9:1

I did some research and hit paydirt, or so it seems: I found this comparison and further along in the article it mentions that both the TLR and XR use a flat dome piston. I think I'm going to take a gambe and get one in one over size.

CB100N

XL125S

XL185S

XR185A$

XR200

TLR200R

CRF230F#

Bore

Stroke

Capacity

Wrist Pin, mm

CR

Power,

bhp/rpm

Torque,

lb-ft

11.5l

Carb Diameter

I went ahead and ordered the Wiseco. Should arrive in a day or two. I have a stock piston laying about, so I'll give it a look see right away and let y'all know if it's a match. Worse case is I have a 30 day trial to send it back if it's a no-go. Best case is I lose the smoking and piston slap and know that there are pistons available!

I just got a wiseco piston for my tlr200 about a month ago. I had it bored to the next size up (66mm).

I was also unsure it would work as the new piston has a slightly raised head but the valve cut outs were big.

This past weekend i got to ride it for the first time. At first the motor was making a knocking noise under load ( going up a steep hill). Found out that i had to use a higher octane gas(97) , which solved the problem.

the bike sputtered at mid to high rpms, so i put a small washer under the needle as someone suggested ( there is no needle groove adjustment on my carb); that solved the mid rpms. Now i just need to get a larger main jet for the carb to solve the high rpm range.

So the Wiseco piston works good you just have to adjust the stock carb to run better with the higher compression. I tried to measure the compression but had trouble calculating the wiseco piston head volume, so i dont know for sure what it ended up being.

I'm right up I 65 from you in Bloomington, Ind. and I've been know to pester Bob Ginder thru B&J for parts and at the AHRMA trials for help!

I have also been trying to find an adjustable needle for the bike. Someone suggested an older SL/XL 125 needle would work. How does the washer work? I'm assuming that it just works as a spacer to raise it? I have a freind who is is a machinst. I wonder if the needle could be modified to accept a clip.

What would be the disadvantage of increased compression?

The SL/XL 125 adjustable needle does work well in the Reflex. Larger main jets are available from Honda and are the same as an XR100. A slightly bigger pilot jet will eliminate the cough and die syndrome but is not readily available. Drilling with a #78 drill (0.016") will produce a jet close to a #40 (.40 mm = 0.0157"). Stock is #38 (.38 mm = .015)

I installed the small washer under the needle clip to raise it a mm or two, and just used the retainer as normal. I am still in the process of tuning it in as i need a bigger main as it sputters at high rpms. At idle and mid rpms it runs perfect, and i can blip the throttle with no hesitation. I noticed that in the Parts unlimited online Catalogue the have many different size jets for the KJ series carbs. $2.50 a piece.