Acu Training System

as iow

In Feb 2005 i attended a one day ACU coaching course in Devon at my own expence, the course had nothing to do with how you rode a trials bike but more of the H.S.A, child protection, and legal side of things which was all very intresting.

Next i get a little book in the post which requires that you spend 25hrs with an experianced trainer and then i can apply to become a ACU coach, now if i lived in yorkshire fine, but as i don't think there are any ACU coaches in the Southern centre, let alone on the IOW i'am a bit stuffed.

So i wrote to the ACU explaning this and there reply was that i could attend a 2 day professional coaching course @ a cost of

Of course you can help others its just that it must be done informally.

Just the same as Chris has a qualified teacher at his school who has spent 3 years at college learning how to impart knowledge how to handle kids lesson planning administration and the like it would not be acceptablefor a trainer sanctioned by the ACU not to have fulfilled a minimum level of health and saftey first aid etc. I understand that part of the ACU trainers training is based on observation of the trainee coach.

Once a trainer has done these things in theory he has the potential to go out and train your kids where you can be sure that he has the basics of care and responsibilty satisfactorily suitable to look after someone elses children.

Surely there is no short cut to that?

Of course you can help others its just that it must be done informally.

Just the same as Chris has a qualified teacher at his school who has spent 3 years at college learning how to impart knowledge how to handle kids lesson planning administration and the like it would not be acceptablefor a trainer sanctioned by the ACU not to have fulfilled a minimum level of health and saftey first aid etc. I understand that part of the ACU trainers training is based on observation of the trainee coach.

Once a trainer has done these things in theory he has the potential to go out and train your kids where you can be sure that he has the basics of care and responsibilty satisfactorily suitable to look after someone elses children.

Surely there is no short cut to that?

The one day course covered most of this, i just think it would be better if you could start as a club coach, and then after a year or two you could apply to become a centre coach, and then after a further year or two move up to national coach, and then international coach.

This would make it easer for clubs to get someone to help the grass routes riders who are the back bone of trials in the UK. The ACU could still have courses for each level so that only the most experianced trainers could reach the top level.

I believe the 25 hours with an experienced coach has now been scrapped and a potential coach just has to attend the course you did, be assessed at a training day and have a current first aid certificate. The cost is also reduced from

Yes certainly the initial requirements/costs for Training at Club/Centre level were too high/complicated/time consuming.

The T & E and also other disciplines ,and representatives from your Centres at General Council ( see it does work when people from Centres go through right proceedure) asked the Training Panel to look at it again - and this has been done - so the cost is now nowhere near the figures quoted. I do not have them to hand - but will try to get them .

The 25 hours etc is also gone.

However. I speak about Club and Centre Coaches - i.e those who wish to put training events on at this level. This is usually done for the benefit of that Club/Centre - with probably only small charges applied to cover cost of expenses etc.

There is also a Practice Permit available - for those to get together on a Club /Centre basis and do exactly that rather than the formal coaching set up.

Commercial Coaches - who wish to do this on a proffesional basis/ living etc is a different thing - and yes I think the charges will still be quite high and there will be more hoops to jump through.

Will try to get clearer details.

there is a fundamental difference between the bloke in a club helping out the newbies and the ex champion running a training school

the latter is running a business and seek acknowledgement of his skills / professional accreditation / etc and because its a business ACU members money should not be subsiding it (especially in relation to later legal cases that might arise)

on the other hand the former are what the ACU should be all about, however we need to construct a system whereby these people are properly certified in a cost effective manner but are still legally covered

constructing this is an immense challenge

BTW - how have the ACU benefited from James Toseland doing well ??? I didn't know the ACU got commission, how do they benefit ???

TRY P.R or didn't you know that ???

what I'm getting at in subtle (or not) fashion is that the current funding structure of the sport means there is little or no incentive for the ACU to do something like that. you can not draw much / if any correlation / link between James Toseland doing well in road racing and a significant benefit - financially - to the ACU, that could outweigh the cost of training/licencing the trainers that do some of the tuition little lads and lasses on TY80s get..... ???

rabie you only have to go on the acu web site to see JT endorsing a new acu backed roadrace series

great PR for the acu and all credit to them for doing so, but it's a fact he started young, and he started

in trials on a ty80, i also think david knight started in trials, two world champions different disciplines but

with a trials background, what i am trying to say is the next enduro/roadrace champion could be that

little lad or lass down in the isle of white on there ltttle 50cc bike, but without any training, guidence

and encouragement get fed up and leave the sport, without thoesland and knighter we haven't got much

to shout about !!! all our hopes seem to rest on alez wigg ,and i only hope he gets enough funds or

sponsorship to become world champion, of that we have just got to agree on.

for a variety of reasons i don't conclude that there is any real link between having world champions, et al and getting riders into the sport and whether training of youth produces champions

the problem is that money comes primairly from average joe clubman riding, not from world champions ridding (they probably cost us money) - thus i don't advocate chucking money down that avenue

rabie you only have to go on the acu web site to see JT endorsing a new acu backed roadrace series

great PR for the acu and all credit to them for doing so, but it's a fact he started young, and he started

in trials on a ty80, i also think david knight started in trials, two world champions different disciplines but

with a trials background, what i am trying to say is the next enduro/roadrace champion could be that

little lad or lass down in the isle of white on there ltttle 50cc bike, but without any training, guidence

and encouragement get fed up and leave the sport, without thoesland and knighter we haven't got much

to shout about !!! all our hopes seem to rest on alez wigg ,and i only hope he gets enough funds or

sponsorship to become world champion, of that we have just got to agree on.

Alexz Wigg is World Youth Champion 2006, I think you mean the main series.

for a variety of reasons i don't conclude that there is any real link between having world champions, et al and getting riders into the sport and whether training of youth produces champions

the problem is that money comes primairly from average joe clubman riding, not from world champions ridding (they probably cost us money) - thus i don't advocate chucking money down that avenue

I very much doubt if Alexz Wigg ( Ross Danby Lee Sampson or any other youth riders) have cost the ACU anything this year at all, let alone Joe clubman, I just don't see your anti youth policy has any foundation in truth.

You only have to look at the number of youngsters clambering for Alexz's autograph at hawkstone to see that he is doing a great PR job for Trials in general. He will be doing the same thing when he goes to stonleigh too, he is approachable , talks to anyone and can ride a bit too.

Why do kids play football and wear the club shirts because the stars do. Hopefully a few will get converted and it will mean another generation of riders coming through.

Who doesn't know the name of rooney? Whats he won?