The Bings (again)

toad

Im hopefully going to get out to the bings at queensferry next week,and i was wondering if anyone had any directions for this. Any help would be much appreciated.

Edited by toad

Hello there, If you mean the big orange/brown piles of guff then I very much doubt that you will be able to access them. They are currently being removed (at least one anyway) to use the material to go under the new link road that they are currently building. They seem to have a portakabin and a gate at the entrance.

Cheers

Mike.

Just had a look at both the Bing and Craigy Quarry on Google Maps, the quarry doesn't actually look like a quarry from the images but having ridden there a few times it's got everything from small beginner stuff to full blown World round stuff.

So Koevoet which Bing is the one to go riding at? The one next to the golf course or the one to the south which appears the larger of the two.

Me and a mate from Fife were looking at coming down next weekend to either the Quarry or the bing for a change, although we think there's a Dunfermline club trial on at Knockhill.(can't remember where I saw that)

Are you actually allowed to ride at the quarry? I live in glasgow and looking to join a club(its the only way to get out on your bike)is loch lomond club nearest or does anyone know of any other club closer?

I've deleted a couple of posts from this topic. To explain why, I received an email showing concern about locations being publicised.

"This quarry has served the trials community for many decades and, whilst hidden from view, lies in the middle of an area with a huge minimoto etc problem. The local paper even uses pictures of trials riders to illustrate the "menace". If these guys come across the location on the web then it will be finished within a fortnight."

"Any genuine rider only has to ask at a trial to get the location so there is no desire to restrict use to an elite, just to avoid loss of the only decent practice venue that side of Edinburgh."

I can absolutely understand the concerns raised and hope those who I've "censored" can too. With practice areas in short supply, it's probably better to keep them "word of mouth" these days :wall:

Thanks for doing that Andy, I was a bit concerned about the directions appearing on the web for the very reasons mentioned. I passed there a couple of days ago and noticed that it looks like some neds have burnt the roof off the derelict house at the entrance to the quarry, no doubt we are getting the blame for that as well as the ongoing fly tipping which seems to be a bit of a problem at the lay-bys on the access road.

As Hughesy said in another post there are dog walkers, horse riders etc who use the quarry also, if you give them the time of day and chat to them it keeps everyone 'on side'. It's the nutters tanking through the woods at the back that are a menace, fortunately they're rare up there.

Re the bings, don't go up on your own, there's a real ned element around up there, not unknown for people to get mugged for their bike, happened to an aquaintence at Winchburgh bing a couple of years ago.