Poppy Appeal

spud

My friend sent me this link today about the Canadian tradition:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOB3e3u-BaQ

Andy, I have to admit I saw the change in the header but it did not come to mind what the red dot was.

In America, I remember as a boy (40+) many years ago the red poppy's for sale to help remember the veterans.

Back then as a kid, without a war being fought on our own shores, it was hard to imagine what these veterans went through and what the cost of freedom was.

It's sad to say I haven't seen a poppy in years, perhaps I was oblivious with my self centered life.

Now at 50 and having a son in the military, serving in the most dangerous places, I now am painfully aware of the sacrifices our veterans, their wives, and children, have made in the past and in the future.

As my son told me the troops are there to complete a mission designated from their boss, whoever and whatever it may be a the time. It's there job they have chosen, and they accept that.

But he went on, "we fight, with the goal to protect each other, so we may all go home together."

Brothers in Arms and perhaps make the world a better place to live.

Perhaps in a America it is not too late to renew poppy tradition and just maybe start the two minute silence tradition as our neighbors to the north.

Let us hope next veterans day we will have many more veterans home with us.

Edited by sideup

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

One day Andy Huddleston might retire so we can get our hand on the Service trophy again. I have been lucky that I have been in the Army team twice and won the Service Trophy, it would be great to win the trophy at my last SSDT before I retire, so if anybody knows Andy's Inspector please ask him do put him on shift that week.

Unless the RAF lads beat you to it! :(

rafround.gif