Engine Changes?

eric23

I recently got a test ride on a 1998 Cota 315. I liked the soft power delivery right off idle and the feel of the engine. I heard that Montesa went to a "snappier" engine in 2000 or so. Just trying to get an idea of how the Cota has evolved over the years.

Just curiouse, isn't the 03/04 supposed to be softer off of the bottom than the 01/02, i tried a 01 last Sunday and hated every second of it. Where as i have tried a 98 (that has just had a total engine re-build) and found it to be softer than my 2000 (which has an extra Head-gasket to lower compression).

Gaff.

Easy there! I am in the 3rd season of bliss with my 2001 Montesa. The '02 and up has the "factory" ported cylinder which hass more power but still not over horsepowered to the point of wheelspin. They are quite snappy but still manageable. The differences in the bikes you rode all boil down to tuning. Carb, ignition timing even gearing seem to vary after the owner has his way with it. You can have them run any way you want them. It will never be the torquer that a Scorpa/Yamaha is though. I wonder if you are one of those guys who sang the praises of the old 321 Gasser. Torque lover eh? :)

JayLael, never ridden a Gas Gas 321, but have tried a 03 Pro 300 which i liked, but my 2000 Montesa is the one for me at the moment.

Though i keep thinking on changing to a newer bike.

Gaff.

I had a 2000 GG TXT280 with the timing retarded by 1mm, 3 teeth added to the rear sprocket and the slow throttle tube. Before turning it into an old man's bike for the easy lines, it had a pretty good snap right off idle. The '98 Cota just felt smooth and managable. Although I didn't open it up, the owner told me that if needed, there was plenty of power. We'll have to see what's available when the time comes to buy.

Gaff: I have yet to try a 300 pro, but I hear good things from the guys who have them. They sure look old school which is good. The Montesa is a great bike. I am amazed again and again that I never tire of this thing. If Montesa had more atristic styling, like the Beta, which is a piece of industrial art at it's finest, they'd be even better. Styling is where Scorpa have missed the boat with thier new 125's rear fender. It's just nice to have bike that when you polish it's body work it gives you that special feeling, that nearly makes your eyes pop out. That was my experience with my Betas. They are a dang purty bike! Be that as it may, they just don't work like a Mont. In the end I guess beauty is gonna' be in the eyes of the beholder. I know you can't see it while your ridin' it. I bet the new four stroke Mont. is gonna' be a real visual feast. One you can scrub up nice and clean, shine it all up and just set there and gawk at 'er. I am looking forward to it already. :)

The porting changes came in on the 2003 bike. Everything before is essentially the same motor. Baring the change of carb in 2001 and later.

I'm not sure I understand what your are looking for, but I would suggest that you ride a 2003 if you can. The 2003 porting has changed the motor a good deal , its very smooth, but with good linear power through the range.

The guys at Haven can port your existing barrel to 03 spec (plus a little bit more) - I had mine done over Xmas and its a changed bike, loads of grip at low revs and top end when you need it.

(Anyone who was at the Oxford Ixion Trial on Sunday will know about the need for both :) )

It is diificult to describe the change, but I'd sum it up as its no longer like having a Great Dane on a short lead.

The 4 stroke Honda will compete in the Japan world round at the end of May, ridden by Amos, the press will be able to have their way with the cameras and treat us all to some nice pictures of the beast, then that will be it! until it is released to the public in the new model year.

You know how the Mont fuel tap is a pain, well that won't be a problem on the 4 banger, a fellow said it doesn't have one! that could only mean one thing, plenty of other little snippets, that will turn heads but I would rather see for myself than be proven wrong in a month's time, what!! all above could be false :D or culd be true :) the time to see is getting near.

Nigel, you bring up a good point. I ain't made O money. I figure like the CRF models Honda will absorb the massive development cost, and spread it out over the run of the model, which if the current Mont. is any example will be a long run with only refinement, not complete retooling etc. Folks find a way to come up with the big coin if the bike is good enough. Witness the loads of riders with brand new trials bikes all the time. Don't know how they do it. Maybe it has something to do with not trying to ride so many different disciplines of motorcycling. Just sticking to trials, I could even afford a fancy new Hontesa. In the meantime I'll start with a brochure, and eventually just sit around gawking at Ishy's new four stroke Montesa, when he gets it, : ) while I ride the same old '01 2 stroke, happily, but with a little envy. I guess we'll see. I bet it has one of those vacum operated fuel pumps. That would preclude the need for a petcock. The current Montesa has an innaccessible petcock so I just leave it on. Would be nicer if you could reach it enough to operate it. On the new Mont, a spiffy Fuel pump would imply fuel injection of some sort. Bet it has a laptop tune-able throttle and timing map. Wonder where they stashed the ECU. This would sure take care of the four stroke cough and allow alot of tuning possibilities. I can still hear Johnny Anderson's pink TLR? reving up like a b**ch! Tech heads will love it! Must have a great big gigantic muffler too, like those old Hondas. Maybe some time during the model run they'll make a pink one again. That'd be kinda' cool. Oh, or some Metallic blue Rothmans ones. Man that'd be neat.