Beta 50cc Rear Brake Help

bubba

My son has been out on his Beta 50 and is struggling to use/ find the rear brake so he's constantly having to use the front brake only.

I have seen in the past some Beta 50s for sale with a handlebar lever conversion to aid the use of the rear brake. I'd like to fit one just incase something goes wrong, that way he'd be able to stop.

So if anyone has any info on the levers used, cables and fitting of the conversion whilst retaining the original foot brake I'd be very grateful for any information.

Many thanks.

Hi.

So what happen's if the lad has to use all 3 control's at the same time,i think that would be more danger trying to go for 3 lever's on the handlebar's at the same time would'nt it.

Think the best thing to do is let him find the rear brake in course of time,,once he has a few come off's he'l soon find the rear brake.

Edited by bilco

You might put on your profile where you are located and that would help steer you to some assistance.

I did the Sherco 50's which is really the same principal, I just added the foot portion.

Anyway, not much too it, you could search on the Sherco pages here and find pictures of how I did it.

I chose to use Thomaselli levers that were available and had superior leverage.

You just need to pick what you are most comfortable, what is easily available too you.

You will need to modify slightly the rear drum, the pictures of how I did the sherco's are there, and they use the same assembly.

You may end up needing to add an additional return spring in the system.

A good set of BMX or Mtn Bike levers would work fine.

Or you could get another front brake lever and cable assembly and flip it, that would reduce the needed number of spares.

Carefull on your cable routing that you do not route too close to hot components and end up melting housing's into the cable.

Not much too it, but sitting down and doing it.

I for one felt much better as my child got into the hairier stuff, that he could get to the brakes, after all if we were getting knocked around, and going down hill, and you threw your bike into neuteral, I bet you would want some more brakes as well.

Good luck, have fun riding together.

OK, trying to use this search feature is like pulling hens teeth.

Let me try and attach a picture.

post-6-1163440162.jpg

Edited by Alan Bechard

Alan,

Once again many thanks for your advice and thanks for attaching the picture, it simplifies things.

I'm about to take my son out of the flat fields and into some rougher terrain and I want to make sure that he can stop if it all goes wrong in a moment of panic.

He enjoys the bike and I want it to stay that way without him having too many frights early on, as he's still only 5 years old, hence wanting to fit a rear handlebar brake.

I have his bike loaded up in my works van so that I could take it to work tomorrow and get my bike rack modified to carry his bike rather than loading up a trailer each time we go out. I'll print out your photo and get the fabricator to make up the modification at the same time.

Thanks again.

Allen

The piece welded onto the top is a piece of 1/8" X 3/4" (I think) strapping. Should be something like 3mm X 12mm strap, bent 90, welded neatly both sides, drilled and tapped for the adjuster.

It just hangs about 1 1/2 threads, but you lock it in place with the nut (gently)

I do not believe that any have failed.

You have to open up the pinch bolt hole a bit too.

I chose to use heavy duty motorcycle universal cables for front brakes on both the controls, it gives a more positive feel with less stretch.

I lube them with Tri Flow.

The brakes are effective but just like most drum brakes meticulous set up, cleanliness and attention to detail are very important.

Watch, check, insulate, and check again, where you run the cable over top of the engine.