Lost 3rd 4th 5th Gears Sherco 290

hen barn

hi just brought sherco 290 and the bloke i brought it off said he had not rode it for a while. when i tested it only went in 1st and 2nd. i still haven't given it a real day out yet but rode it up the road last night and couldn't get 3rd etc.

i am a novice and i am worried i have brought a duff bike?

any ideas?

Well, surely someone on here is close enough to check out your bike, is there not a local club, riding area, local bike shop (of any sort) with experienced mechanic's?

At some point, to figure out exactly what is happening, just need someone with a bit of ride time under their belt to spend 5 minutes on the bike to accurately diagnose what it is and is not doing.

With the motor off, and rocking the bike fore and aft, can you shift up through all the gears feeling them engage?

Your symptom can easily be duplicated by taking off the shifter, then installing it in too high a location on the splines, not giving it enough movement to click up the gears.

Measure from your skid plate to the bottom of the shifter at the very front location where the swivel tip mounts, I just checked three different bikes at this location and all three were 2.3/4 inch at this point. if wrong loosen your back wheel so you can roll your chain off, then remove the shifter and locate it on the splines so it measures 2.3/4 inch.

If this is not the problem, I would suggest you call the fella you bought it off and ask him to have it corrected.