Honda Tlr 200

jack1796

Hi all,

I have a Honda TLR 200 which I love riding. It is used for twin shock trials and long distance trials. However, I have a problem in that the clutch needs adjusting when the engine becomes hot. This problem is not so bad on a long distance trial, but is very evident in a twin shock trial in a confined area. I have put in a new clutch plate and clutch cable but this has not solved the problem.

Has anyone had this problem? Can anyone help with this problem - suggestions very welcome.

Regards

Jack

Hi Jack,

I ride a 1985 TLR 250 F in competition here in the USA.

When I first got the bike (used in 1991) I took it out to a local practice area to put it thru it's paces.

About 1/2 hour into the practice session the clutch started growling and the clutch play got rather excessive. I had indeed being slipping the clutch in the tight bits of the sections and that's what set it off.

I found this out after asking the dealer that had imported the bike what the hell was going on. Seems that this is a weak link in the TLR 250.

Do you have the same experience with your 200?

The fix is a set of Barnett Kevlar faced friction plates. I believe the two bikes share the same clutch assembly.

The part number is HPK-19.

With the Kevlar plates installed, you can abuse the clutch to your hearts content.

I hope I've been a help.

Have a good weekend,

Bryan

Bryan,

Thank you for your help. Can I confiirm with you whether you changed the metal plates between the clutch or did you change the clutch plates or both?

And can you tell me where I might be able to obtain the necessary parts?

Thanks again

Regards

Jack

Jack,

I replaced just the fiber plates. Left the steel ones alone.

I did replace the clutch springs one time.

Try Barnetts website:

www.barnettclutches.com

HPK 19 is the correct part number. You can select from a set of either four or five plates.

The ATC 200 took four plates.

My TLR and the XR 200 series Hondas use five plates. I'll bet your 200 has five plates.

The web site doesn't list the TLR 200, but it lists all the other 200 Honda's.

I'm very certain that the TLR 250 and 200 share the same clutch.

My first set of Barnett plates lasted 10 years. I've got five years on the second set.

I hope this puts your bike right.

Bryan

• Like 1

Back in 1986 when I had a new TLR250,the hot tip was to fit CB125 clutch plates,just the friction ones and use Silkolene Pro 4 oil.Worked for me,with an extended operating arm the clutch felt like it was servo assisted and was ultra smooth.The oil made a great difference too,I tried Duckhams,ended up draining it after a short practice session,the engine became noisey and the clutch grabbed.

The plates to fit are CG125 ones - Appleyarde used to sell them in preference to anything else.

Remember the TLR200 & 250 clutch is the same design as CB125, XL125 etc. These bikes are road bikes which take a lot less punishement than a TLR clutch when used in competition. The tLR250 has stronger springs than the other bikes - look through some previous posts.

If you are hard on a tLR clutch you will soon realise it is pretty borderline - I have had the play in the cable increase when the clutch is beeing worked hard but it soon returns to 'normal' after a run between sections. Dont adjust the clutch cable to compensate - you will end up with a slipping clutch.