Road Legal Suzuki Beamish Mot Facts Needed

scotty

need help here guys, I want to get my beamish suzuki through an MOT (its road registered already)

i just want the basic day light mot ,ie no lights, brake light etc!

the way i see it is road legal tyres( will trials tyres pass???) large number plate? quite exhaust? continous electric horn/ and a speedo? is this it? or have i missed anything? i heard that you dont need a rear brake light or even a rear reflecter for a day time mot is this true? :thumbup:

need to try some tight / twisty green lanes for something different so need to be road legal!

You will need a reflector

horn & number plate

there is an excellent website which gives full MOT regs - cant remember link though

You will need a reflector

horn & number plate

there is an excellent website which gives full MOT regs - cant remember link though

You need a reflector on the rear, legal number plate a bulb horn is okay. (Audible means of approach, shoutings out though) Check your tyres do not have the words "NOT FOR ROAD/ HIGHWAY USE" or anything similar. You obviously know about the other requirements, headrace,wheel and swing arm bearings etc, jobs a good un. :thumbup:

a full size number plate is only required if you have one of the bike at the MOT.....i've MOT'd bikes on the chassis number, which is perfectly ok (especially if its before applying for a reg no), as is insuring them on the chassis number.

Eric Rees in Hereford have never bothered with the horn or the reflector AFAIR for my pre-83 bikes, they also don't need a brake test, though on the machine by SWM outperformed a CBR600, but i think that was mainly down to the weight difference :thumbup: There is talk of him packing in soon so things in Hereford may get a little tricky, as the MotorCycle Centre didn't know what a daylight MOT is.

The website for the MOT testers manual is here:-

http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual/mc_contents.htm

thanks for the link, useful....

a daylight MOT, ie with no front project headlamp or one that is permanently disconnected or masked over, means that you do not require indicators or a reflector.

If your bike is post 1st Jan 1973 is seems that you do need an electrical horn, rather than a bulb one, something that I've never put on any bike for the MOT (?); interesting.

Also, there is only mention of Reg number layout, not size; again which is a little wierd. These regs are from 2001, so need to see if there have been changes with the advent of the online MOT test.

why not just go down to the garage where you want to have it done, take the v5 to confirm date of registration and ask the tester (not the girl on reception) if their happy doing a 'daylight' test on the bike and what they want with regard to horn (bulb or continuous tone) no. plate ( get one made up for a tenner anyway screw a reflector off a kids bike on it) and brake lights.

they'll be only to happy you asked and you should sail through when you take your bike back for the test.