Practice Field

ashbabble

Hi All - I'm a new boy, well Dad actually. I'm having a few problems getting my lad started in trials. I have all the gear, bike, trailer etc but nowhere to go. My boy cannot actually ride as yet so what I need is a big flat grass field for him to get used to the bike before we can enter anything. We can get no help from our council as we are considered a nuisence rather than a sport. Does anyone know of such a place we can go local to Chorley in Lancashire please? It does need to be grass though. Thanks - Jim

you will be lucky to find anywhere legal in your area but try this link to back cowm quarry . http://cowmleisure.com/Cowm%20Leisure%20Homepage.htm

about 30 miles from you and will cost a tener a day per rider, big quarry with lots of space for everyone. if you find somwhere legal in your area let me know as i havent found anything either. alan in skelmersdale

Thanks for the reply. I have heard of this place but it would be too much for him at the moment since he can't ride at all yet. There are place around her but there are signs everywhere telling you not to ride, I really can't be doing with irate landowners - it does nobody any favours in the end. Cheers Jim

have a drive to back cwm and ask for a look around there top blokes on the gate. i'm fairly sure there's some flat open space your son could learn on just can't remember if its grass

other option would be to turn up at a trial and see if you could ride there but PLEASE pay an entry fee and ask before you do that way your covered with insurance etc. he doesn't have to ride the sections but you might find somewhere at the side of the course to play if you ask

Thanks for the suggestions. Is it possible to turn up at any event (given a youth entry) and enter him? He has his ACU card etc. Would it need to be his own club for instance or any club? This could be the way forward but I'm concerned he'll be overwhelmed and be put off- I guess I will need to give it a try.

Thanks Jim

each club will be different so it will be best to ask before you sign on. provided your a member of a club in the same centre as the club running the event you shouldn't have to join. if its a closed to club event you will have to join. alternatively you could telephone the club secretary's and ask if you can ride at the event

If you were local to our area, I'd say turn up at one of our events, he could do the beginner route, and just let him pick and choose where he rides. As long as you make sure they have a beginner route, there's nothing to stop you doing that at any trial.

Find something local in TMX, and give the secretary a call.

Come on, must be some people local to Chorley on here? Give the lad the details of a decent club for this sort of thing. Most places you just have to ask, people in trials not always overpowering, but very willing to help when they know you want a bit of help.

If Cheshire Youth Trials aren't too far for you to travel down they would be ideal - not my club, but my lad used to love them on his little TY80 when he first started. They have a little place called Alvanley around Junction 14 of the M56, and mostly kids plus fat dads like myself riding round with them :icon_rendeer:

Round here you just ring the secritary say your just going to poodle round out of the other bikers way and they will let you ride for free as long as !! : you make shure your son weres a helmet and DOES NOT CHURN UP THE GRASS !!

keep to them rules and you should be fine

hope this helps you ans good luck with finding some were to ride