Trailer Wheels

jetset

I have a trailer which was made from mini running gear utilising the back axle of a mini. The old mini wheels really need replacing but are expensive nowadays <_< , does anyone know of any other wheels that have the same stud centres as the mini which I could use instead?, I am replacing the mudguards too as they are knackered so could be a bigger wheel if needed. <_<

Cheers

Wheels with 4 inch pcd wheel stud spacings, as per mini's are readily available new, it's not worth looking around breakers yards any more, unless you are very lucky it will be just as cheap to buy the correct wheel and tyre new.

With a 4 ply tyre fitted, you will get 10in wheels for close to

Thanks for the replies, did some reading up and found that 4" pcd are fairly common and so as stated it is not worth looking in scrap yards for them anymore. The trailer I got recently has new frame on top but pretty rough mini leaf springs, hubs, mounting bar, mudguards and wheels so am going to do away with it all and get a pair of new susension units, hubs and 10"wheels when I get paid again! Planning on bolting the suspension units directly to the square frame which is made from 70 x 50 section metal. This should do away with the need for a mounting bar going across like it currenly has I hope.

I will keep the old wheels for spares and mount the best on the trailer, I should then have an good trailer which will have saved me

Edited by Jetset

If you go for indespension units, you can buy a mounting plate to match which can be welded onto your beam/frame.

These are also commonly available and are so cheap it isn't worth making them yourself (unless you've got a metal craft work shop at your disposal.) Here's an example. Click to view

Just be careful when you position them to make sure they are square, (at right angle to the direction of travel) horizontal, (with the ground) and that the wheels clear the frame BEFORE you weld them on permanently.

It sounds obvious, but I welded mine on after a lot of care and measuring to find that the wheels were too close to the mudguard bracket when I bolted them on. Luckily for me, it was a simple job to move the bracket back 25mm to give the necessary clearance.

Edited by scorpa3

i have been told from a few tyre companies near me that 10 inch mini wheels are no longer available and the only other wheel that will fit is the 12 inch metro wheels which are still available

Before I realised there were so many trailer companies selling 10inch wheels as a direct replacement for mini wheels, I tried to find a pair in local breakers yards for my trailer. You are right, you can't find them.

They've either been bought by people making trailers or by class one (stock mini) auto grass racers.

But as I said earlier, why bother looking when you can get brand new wheels with 750kg rated trailer tyres delivered to your door for

A work mate once borrowed a trailer to take some spare top soil home from the site we were working on, he lost a wheel on the dual carriageway so the next day I went round every scrap yard in Lancashire trying to get a replacement for him but couldn't find one! As scorpa 3 says why mess about when you can get new ones just as cheap as the old mini wheels which fetch alot of money now.