Is Cleaning Really That Important?

glyph

Hi GLYPH

read all the replys, and I`m afraid just about everyone seems to have missed the point for me,

Mechanical failure, in most cases, comes from corrosion and wear,leaving your bike covered in

muck from one outing to the next is just plain silly.

All that muck and crud is made up of tiny bits of grit which are wearing away at all moving parts

such as chain/sprockets, it`s getting into your bearings, brake pads, perhaps even into caliper seals

and depending where you were riding there may even be corrosive substances in all that muck and when you are tucked up in bed it`s busy munching away at all that lovely alloy, and the nexy time you wheel your bike out with all that dryed on crud, which has now turned itself into grinding paste and you are hurtling towards the bottom of that mega hill climb, having not quite made it to the top and you pulled the brakes on and the callipers went psssss

Don`t blame the bike

washing and cleaning is an essential part of maintenance, and maintenance is an essential part of safety.

RANT OVER

prize for best reply goes to jumbostu

That makes sense.

Which also coincides with what Bob said in another post:

With the beta it is a good idea, in fact you must remove that plastic flywheel cover after you've been riding the bike to let any condensation or water out.

So...

Clean it.

Check it.

Pull it apart to dry.

Put it all back together again.

Trial it.

Clean it.

Check it.

Pull it apart to dry.

Trial it.

Clean it.

Check it.

Pull it apart to dry.

Trial it.

Clean it..... :wacko::wacko::wacko:

maybe im a tart, but i always wash my bike the best i can, wash all the thick mud off it and then get the muc off out and a brush and scrub any marks or stains off any matal components. with a second hand bike you wont get it like new unless the previous owner kept it really clean.

ive only ever had one new bike and that was a yz 125, ive been racing and practicing on it since september and the frame and engine look like brand new. there no corrosion anywhere on any fasteners or white flake on ali parts. i even use an air box cover so i can wash the air box area out. when the time comes for a top end rebuild i know i dont have to worry about crud falling off bike parts and into an open engine. its may take 2 hours to mint my mx bike but it never misses a beat and is really easy to work on.

my trials bike on the other hand is an 03 scorpa which clearly hasnt had the same treatment. rusty spokes, rusty bolt heads and many seized and stuck fasteners, most of which were in the brass inserts in the air box. this means first time ive taken the bike to bits its been a nightmare! ive had to grind heads off bolts, pull inserts out of the air box and removed the old nut, and then repair the air box, NIGHTMARE! if the last owner had only washed the bike, taken the mud guard off and greased the button head screws i wouldnt be messing around. but thats the secondhand world i guess.

basically if you look after the bike, itll look after you and your pocket and your time.

Too true!!

The bike always gets washed asap after getting home. Chain come off so no grit is washed into it, bung in the exhaust and off we go! Hose and a soft brush to get the muck off, a rinse with hot water then a clean rag to dry it off.

I do like the bike looking clean before a trial - so many are left dirty and mucky that its nice to stand out from the crowd! And, everything is made easier. Maintainance without worrying about muck and grit everywhere, weeping seals are easy to spot, and you don't get mucky when loading up before a trial!

Have bought some Muc off, now need to have a good 'ol mud plug to try it out!