Is Cleaning Really That Important?

glyph

Hi all

I recently purchased my first bike: :banana2:

2000 Beta Rev 3 270cc

As it is my first bike, I don't know much about them.

Reading through some of the posts on here, a lot of you clean your bikes straight after a run.

Is this really that important and if so, what is the purpose?

cleaning stops rust and parts seizing up but it also allows you to see if there is any problems with the bike and it looks alot better next time you ride it, you can also do your maintenance alot easier when the bike is clean

Some of us just like to clean a little to much, I'm not famous for cleaning, I would rather ride. My wife bought my last bike and said I had to wash it after every ride. So no cleaning isn't all its made out to be. I think a good cleaning with a garden hose gets the dust out and off of brakes,forks and bearings and you look better snaping out your flip turns.

O.K. so one reason is because it looks better?

personally I think they look more authentic covered in *****, like it does what it's meant to do, rather than sitting a garage looking all sparkly like it's never been used.

Second reason, you can see if everything is O.K.

Won't you be able to tell that just from riding it?

I guess you could perhaps see a problem earlier and prevent it getting any worse.

Honestly How much hasle is it to hose it down with some muc-off or pro clean and then apply wd 40 or gt85? It takes me no more than 3/4 hour and I am really thorough because I do like it to look nice! :banana2: (I know that makes me soundd :dunce: !)

It is far easier to work because you don't have to fight with the dirt from entering places! What if you need to grease bearings? You don't want dirt getting all in the grease before you even get them back in the bike!

Course you can see problems easier, what if seals are leaking? Can you tell that by riding it?

It makes the bike much nicer to deal with when moving aroung without bits of mud covering the floor of the garage or shed or covering you when all you wanted was the ladder or a screwdriver!

I also think that it shows that you really take care of your bike! :D

O.K. so one reason is because it looks better?

personally I think they look more authentic covered in *****, like it does what it's meant to do, rather than sitting a garage looking all sparkly like it's never been used.

Second reason, you can see if everything is O.K.

Won't you be able to tell that just from riding it?

I guess you could perhaps see a problem earlier and prevent it getting any worse.

you forgot your third and most important reason glyph.

Keep your bike clean and well maintained help's you keep the value of the bike when you come to sell it.