Straps For Racks

cg125

My Autowbars rack arrived today, and I've got it fitted OK. There doesn't seem to be any way of stopping the handlebar hitting the rear window of the Uglicar though so it looks like I'll have to sort out some sort of padding.

It would help if I could strap the bike down a bit more securely. The straps that I bought from Autowbars with the rack don't have ratchets, and are rather weedier than I expected (not to mention almost twice the price that my local care spares shop charges!).

Any reason not to use ratchet straps? It would seem to be better to me, but I obviously don't want to crank everything down so hard that the rack starts to bend.

The instructions say to use all the tie-down points, but don't give any more hints. There are only three: two in the middle and one by the rear wheel. I saw the "two strap" technique on another thread, but does anyone else have any pointers?

Thanks!

On my Autowbars rack there are 4 fixing points! Two in the middle one on the upright behind the rear wheel and on on the otherside of the rear wheel (behind the footpeg but lower). I use ratchet straps as I don't see how it is possible to use the ones where you pull the strap through the gripper! ( the suspension on the bike would not compress!)

Standing facing the bike and the back of the car I put one strap on the right middle fixing point, then go round the centre of the bike (put a towel on the bike!) and on to the one on the outside of the rack by the back wheel. I then use the other strap to go from the left hand centre fixing point round the headstock of the bike through the frame and onto the point on the upright behind the rear wheel! The bike is extremely solid like this and it the only movement I get is from the flex in the straps and rack itself! The upright that pushes on the rim of the rear wheel stops the bike hitting the car!

Hope this helps!

Cheers

Sean

PS sorry for the essay! :angry::D

Edited by seandellear

On my Autowbars rack there are 4 fixing points! Two in the middle one on the upright behind the rear wheel and on on the otherside of the rear wheel (behind the footpeg but lower).
My mistake, I forgot about the one on the upright! Edited by cg125

Can some one do a drawing or take a photo because at the mo i use one through the middle and around and onto the bit stuck out at the front and they one round near my yokes and onto the roof rack things on my mums car but im getting the rack put on my car now and i dont have roof rack things...

I emailed Stuart at Autobars and this is what he says:

"the straps supplied I have used for 18 yrs, the same set and have travelled all over Europe.

People using ratchet type ones just keep on ratcheting,, then faults develop with the fork seals etc.

Believe me your bike will move, but it wont come off."

but if I do that the bike will go through the rear window . . . :banana2:

I tried the mini-ratchet straps for a while but I've used the pull through type ever since, much simpler and easier to use.

Don't try to compress the suspension by pulling on the straps, it's easier to push it down manually and then take up the slack. Tie a knot in the strap just behind the buckle, job sorted.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't attach straps to the handle bars anymore prefering to attach them to the top of the stanchions (where the mudgaurd attaches) this way there is no fork movement.

If you wish to attach to the handle bars I suggest putting a Bungy/okky strap to the tie down hooks, that way if the forks compress the straps will stay taught and not unhook from the handlebars/eyebolts...

I seem to have found a system that works for me now, using two ratchet straps.

One goes from the middle left fixing point, through the one on the back of the upright, and fastened onto the point on the putside of the rack by the back wheel. The other one goes from this point, through the headstock and down to the middle right fixing. I compress the suspension a bit before I tighten the ratchet, but I don't go mad on it.

The left handlebar grip touches the windscreen, but because the bike is held reasonably firmly it dosn't bang into it.

I'll try to remember to take some pictures next time . . .

Edited by cg125