What Are The Differences Between Brands & Models?

floored

Coming from Dirt and Dualsport, I'm amazed by how mysterious Trials bikes are made to be. With other bikes we talk of "quick turning", "revy", "grunt", "stable at speed" etc.....

But when others come looking for info here, the differences don't get listed?!

Are there no things particular to each brand or model?

ALL modern trials bikes are good. In trials, bike balance, handling (geometry, suspension etc.) and engine response are critical and the smallest flaw in ANY aspect of a bike's nature is amplified many times due to the low speeds involved. Combined with the relatively small number of manufacurers, this means that there's simply no room for sub-standard bikes in the current market.

Having said that, there ARE differences between makes and even models within the same range. This is why you should ride as many different bikes as possible before making a decision. Some people are more comforable with GasGas than Beta. For others, Sherco or Scorpa just feel "right". 4-stroke fans obviously tend to gravitate towards Montesa but most of the other manufacturers have 4-strokes in their range too. It really is a matter of personal preference and it's a fact that 100% of current trials machines are way more capable than 90% of the people buying them (or thereabouts :banana2:)

Your comments about modern trials could be used to "brush" all modern motorcycles, yet consumers are still able to get buyers guides & reviews that helps them decide what to look at. (eg: If they go look at a KTM they know it needs to ride well for them off the floor, because the linkageless suspension's tuning is best left to GODS. Suzuki DRZz have proven to be very reliable & good bang for buck, but lacking (power, weight, handling) as compared to other more "Race Bred" bikes. Etc....)

I've read (and I'm finding out) that for traction the GG Pros really want you on the back wheel with the front very light. The Pros also are known for clutch issues (something about swelling plates).

I've read chat about Beta carbs......etc...

My point is that there are things that could be shared that would help in selection. Someone coming from bicycle trials might find the GG Pro geometry & handling closest to what they're used to, but other cyclists may be intimidated leaning that far back. Someone without mechanical aptitude may sacrifice ride qualities for reliability. Basically, they may use your info to narrow the field, and your descriptions will also give a clue as to what they should be looking for (in themselves and their bike) when looking at and riding the bikes.

Telling them to go try as many as possible is good advice, but without knowing what to look for it may be useless.

Your comments about modern trials could be used to "brush" all modern motorcycles, yet consumers are still able to get buyers guides & reviews that helps them decide what to look at. (eg: If they go look at a KTM they know it needs to ride well for them off the floor, because the linkageless suspension's tuning is best left to GODS. Suzuki DRZz have proven to be very reliable & good bang for buck, but lacking (power, weight, handling) as compared to other more "Race Bred" bikes. Etc....)

I've read (and I'm finding out) that for traction the GG Pros really want you on the back wheel with the front very light. The Pros also are known for clutch issues (something about swelling plates).

I've read chat about Beta carbs......etc...

My point is that there are things that could be shared that would help in selection. Someone coming from bicycle trials might find the GG Pro geometry & handling closest to what they're used to, but other cyclists may be intimidated leaning that far back. Someone without mechanical aptitude may sacrifice ride qualities for reliability. Basically, they may use your info to narrow the field, and your descriptions will also give a clue as to what they should be looking for (in themselves and their bike) when looking at and riding the bikes.

Telling them to go try as many as possible is good advice, but without knowing what to look for it may be useless.

Goodness me, it seems as if you have just about covered it there. Well done.

Floored I know what you are saying....each brand indeed does have its own trailts. I am not the author and its not from this site, but the below article is a pretty accurate summary of each brand.

Coming from enduros myself I can totall understand the comment made by Neo about there being no room for sub standard machines. Unlike conventioanl style bike manufacturers there really is NO modern day trials manufacturer that is putting out a product that is anything less than exceptional in build quality and performance.

My decision on choosing a Sherco was based on the info below and from fellow riders.

I find it be quite accurate.

Scorpa: Rode the

Floored I know what you are saying....each brand indeed does have its own trailts. I am not the author and its not from this site, but the below article is a pretty accurate summary of each brand.

Coming from enduros myself I can totall understand the comment made by Neo about there being no room for sub standard machines. Unlike conventioanl style bike manufacturers there really is NO modern day trials manufacturer that is putting out a product that is anything less than exceptional in build quality and performance.

My decision on choosing a Sherco was based on the info below and from fellow riders.

I find it be quite accurate.

Scorpa: Rode the

I find this a good thread as I'm looking to purchase a trials bike and use these forums and others to find out about each brand.Yes they say go and ride the bikes before you buy but this is not always possible especially here In Australia as it is mid summer and people are not really riding there bikes that much because it is to hot?and the trials events won't start for another 6 weeks.I had hope to be competing by then.Riding around a car park does not really give you a good indication of the traits of the bike.

The tough thing I found was to find a really honest unbiased opinion. Everyone has there favorites and when I asked people it was like I was talking to a salesman. Your absolutely correct....riding a bike around a parking lot is not going to tell you anything other than initial ergos.

It's all about trial and error,pick the one you like the look of give it some action and if you feel it's not right look out for a diffrent model.

Don't make the mistake that everyone seem's to be doing, by buying a big engined bike if your only just starting out it will have you off for sure and that will make it look like you picked the wrong bike,when infact a 200 of the same make bike will be perfect for you.

you can only go so far with other people opinion's and it's allway's gonna be bias.