Bsa C15t Progress

gbmoto

bsa1.jpg

DSC_2411.jpg

It's been a while but have made a bit of progress with the Ex Eastwood c15.

DVLA have sorted the reg doc and it is now registered under its original number with the help from BSA owners club.

The engine has been rebored and top end cleaned up, electronic ignition, amal concentric.

Have just finished chopping the subframe and sorting out a new front mount, I was worried about this as the bike is very original but once I put sensible shocks on I could hardly touch the ground!, anyway the works bikes had the same treatment.

The big subframe mount has been removed and the seat has been modded at the front to nearly fill the gap to the tank.

When I removed the original side stand I was amazed to see it was cast!, I weighs a ton ( slight exageration ) With the longer shocks and soon to be 21" front rim it is too short anyway so will be replaced with a nice light Elsinore one I have.

Talking of wheels I am ordering rims and spokes this week from Wyldes and will be building them myself ( I hope! ) Again spoiling some of the originality by replacing the current 20" front rim.

Picked up the alloy tank cheap but will have to get rid of the dent if I want to keep it as polished, but I might fill and paint.

Forks seem fine but longer than most C15T's I've seen but has leveled out nicely with the longer shocks, when bought it had a bit of a chopper look with realy short shocks.

Having problems with the Miller pipe which will not slide fully in to the head, which then leaves it too long and the silencer end, bit of hacksaw work soon I think.

It has a really nice oil tank but it is a bit small so will be fitting a remote filter for a bit more capacity and cleanliness.

My idea of keeping it original has gone out the window so the idea now is to get it looking like a bike used in the mid 60's, once it is running (soon hopefully) I will give it a tryout before dismantling it for cosmetic restoration.

Hope you find this interesting, I have found a lot of helpful advice on this forum.

DSC_2405.jpg

looking at your bike it would certainly be competative at a Yorkshire Classic championship round ( clubman class K riding eased sections)

http://yorksclassictrials.co.uk/results/Re...yLane4-2-07.xls

http://hometown.aol.co.uk/totalshell/myhom...newsletter.html

or a red rose classic trial again riding the eased sections (e by the riders no,/ letter). Both clubs have certainly eased the sections this year check out the scores/ reports in the latest trials and all for ten quid

http://www.redroseclassictrials.org.uk/results.html

Edited by totalshell

• 1 month later...

A bit more progress, footrest done, I was going to use the originals but they caused more problems than they solved, also not very safe. I have used generic pegs and a Miller brake pedal welded to plates bolted to the rear subframe mount, but I may have to reinforce or remake from thicker metal. They probably could be a bit further back but this is a multi purpose bike and wanted a reasonable sitting position too.

DSC_2732.jpg

Side stand is now mostly Honda Elsinore, on reflection I could have sleeved this which would have been tidier, but the join is pretty well hidden.

Kick start is Honda XL 250 with the splined bit cut lengthways and then welded to a cut off C15 cottered bit! It went OK and it was good to weld something I couldn't burn through!.

DSC_2737.jpg

Rear brake cable is a shortened Honda TL250 item, yes I have owned 250 Honda singles for years and have built up quite a spares stock!.

I now have the rims and spokes and hopefully will get the rear sorted this weekend, the front rim arived with chrome flaking off so I am awaiting a replacement.

Also have made a bash plate and chain guard, and mounted a chain tensioner from the rear bash plate mount.

I have also done some cosmetics, replacing the levers, grips and polishing the gold anodising off the bars as a bit of a moral boost.

Most of these bits I have bought fromTrialsbits whose service and prices are excellent.

DSC_2735.jpg

Still cannot get the silencer/pipe to fit, the silencer took a lot of work to even fit the pipe, then would not clear the shock, shortened the pipe slightly and now it fouls the tyre!.

Any ideas on silencers for C15t's?? other than the Miller one which I don't like the look of.

Also still cannot decide where to put the oil filter.

Once wheels and silencer is done it will be time to dismantle for paint.