Long Time Biker...first Time Trialer

fuzzysb

hello all

i gave ridden for a long time but recently purchased two twinshock bikles...76 honda tl that is 298cc and a modified frame and a sweet 79 199a.

questions about the bul:

1 it has a mikuni and had a 115 main jet. had gobs of bottom end but not much on top. if i open up to a 130-140 and drop the needle a place or two will i keep the bottom end and add mid and top?? it also had .012" piston clearance when i checked so bored first over. i have a 140 main in it for the breakin period

2 it has an aluminum aftermarket swingarm which says malcolm smith but i don't think he was into bultacos....so does anyone know what i have??

3 i have two sets of rear shox to choose from...falcon and fox. which is better? i weigh 200lbs (

sorry no idea how many stone)

thanks for any and all help

fuzzy

Hello Fuzzy,

I have had a few 325cc Bultacos over many years. They don't usually rev out that well at the top end and gobs of low end power is the norm. With various carbs, the main jets that have worked best have been around 1.00mm diameter - 95 to 105.

The Mikuni should be approx 26mm but I am not aware of the needle jet size. I have tried a 26mm Mikuni from a Kawasaki KT250 which was ok, a 26mm Dell Orto as supplied for a new model Gas Gas, the only change needed was for a 95 main jet. This worked very well. Better still was a Keihin 28mm flat slide as fitted to a Raga Gas Gas 300 that has standard jets/GJH needle and just needed a smaller main jet - made a 100 using a soldered jet drilled out to 1.00mm. This gave the best power spread - and revved out to the max.

I'd say your bike could be set up too rich - can you give the throttle needle type, needle valve and pilot jet sizes. Any idea what bike the carb came from?

Is your ignition timing set correctly?

You don't say what happens at the top end - is it starving for fuel or running too rich and four stroking?

I don't know about the s/arm, could be a home made one.

I can't help with the shocks either, I am sure someone else has some knowledge here.