Kickstarter Returns Poorly

jaylael

Has anybody else ever encountered this problem on Montesa? It's a 2001. I bought it used and it works fine as long as you don't tighten up the clutch cover screws all the way. (specifically the one in the back center) I suspect it has a clutch cover which is out of line with the pilot hole in the center cases. It has no obvious distortion, but it still binds. I have eliminated end play as an issue, by removing the inner shim (between the inside end of the kicker shaft and the case) Now get this part, I have attempted to free it up by 'tapping' on it with a small hammer. (ahem) The result was a tikling sound under the bike, while it was laying on it's side, clutch side up. When I searched out the cause for this sound, I found a quarter sized chunk of the case on the shop floor. It fits perfectly into the spot it came from where the end of the kicker shaft is. ;) I have jb welded the peice back on and iam running the center rear clutch bolt at finger tight with loctite on it. I guess it's about time to tear her down for the winter overhaul. ugh! Hope someone is amused by my sad plight. :D

While I don't know a thing about the innards of the modern Montesa, I do have a tip which might be helpful.

Get a smaller hammer????? ;) oweeeee

Bullfrog

. . . oh, and I just can't resist saying this:

If you are being chased by wild dogs, could it be because your pockets are filled with Haggis?

Ed The Haggis is for the wild dogs while I make a break for it. ;) Charlie: Thanks for the tip, but it's new gasket and the shaft has endplay. The kicker arm stays down when the bolt in the center rear is tight. If you loosen this bolt it begins to snap back. I think I should buy it a new clutch cover, but right now can't swing it. It's working o.k. for now but it makes me wonder what's going on.

• 2 weeks later...

I am sorry I am not picturing it well in my mind, but my first thought would be a very light pass with an adjustable reamer through the case that the kickstarter passes through.

I do believe that bullfrog had a very valid suggestion though!

Sounds like a little TIG time to me.

Alan: That piece of metal is paper thin. JB weld is probably the next best thing to a new case. Where I went wrong was taking out the shim, allowind the shaft to bottom out in it's bore against the paper thin backup metal. The more I look at the parts, the more I think the clutch cover has been bent/distorted by one too many whacks against the skid plate which was bent to a crispy potato chip by the previous owner. I have new skid plate now, but am too broke and cheap to buy a new clutch cover. (yet) Someday soon I'll get one and we'll see if that fixes it. In the meantime it's working o.k. as is. I guess it's more of a theoretical question until the money and ambition come together. Bullfrog is right, but the cow's allready got out of the barn. :D

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all:

I also have the Kickstarter mistery... I have a 1998 315R, and also had the same problem... I was wondering if maybe removing the metal washer that lies between the Kickstart shaft and the clutch case, or taking out 0.3-0.5 mm of the case (by grinding or sanding) where the case contacts the washer, therefore freeing a little bit the kickstarter shaft base...

Please if someone could give us a hand would be great... the whole case is expensive, and I dont want to ruin my bike.. ;):wacko:

Edited by TrialsAddict

It is possible that the skid plate has been pushed up against the clutch cover and that it is what is causing your problem. Your local dealer should be able to help you if you need it. Your bike is 1998 and 6 years worth of pounding on the skid plate can take its toll.

If you have any other questions you can reach me through my website US Montesa

Martin Belair

US Montesa

Jay,

I am not familiar with Montesas so I do not know if the clutch side cover is doweled in place or not. It is on many bikes. The dowels are tubes placed in a couple of the screw holes (hollow so the screw passes through). This allows accurate positioning of the cover and prevents exactly what is happening on your bike - except that your case is apparently distorted. If it is doweled, you will not be able to reposition it as suggested unless you remove the dowels. I would take the cover off and thoroughly clean the kickstart shaft and the bore of the case. Then take a permanent marker and coat the bore with black ink. Then reassemble the case and work the kickstarter through a few times. Then remove the cover and look in the bore. The ink should have been worn off in the area of interference. You can then work down this area with some fine emery paper wrapped on a stick, finger. or whatever. The object is to only remove metal where needed. it may take a couple of tries. Once you do this, the JB weld patch can be smoothed down and painted. The repair may last forever if you are lucky.

I had the same problem on a 95 Beta Techno (can I say Beta in this section?). It didn't occur until I had to replace a leaking side cover gasket. With the new gasket I couldn't get the kickstarter to return when the screw closest to it was tightened down. I went to the auto parts store and bought a roll of gasket material that was thicker than the Beta gasket and cut my own. That worked great. I later found out that Beta went to a thinner gasket material (I guess to make the engine narrower--lol).