Fed Up With Glasses

andrew d

The problem with laser eye surgery is that it hasnt been around long enough to have an understanding of what happens later on in life....i really want laser surgery but i like being able to see things as well so im gonna stick with my disposable lenses.....only cost me

post-4205-1173955479.jpg

The problem with laser eye surgery is that it hasnt been around long enough to have an understanding of what happens later on in life.... :D

How long is long enough? It has been around over 20 years and a similar procedure using knife blades before that going back to the 70s. Granted I haven't worked up the rocks to get the surgery either. As much as I hate glasses I like my eyes.

I was -10 in both eyes. It was like a miracle to wake up in the morning and be able to see the LED's on my alarm clock. 47 years old going on two years now, it's the best thing I ever did. Contact lens, sports eye glasses, I tried it all. Laser vision correction LASIK surgery.

Andrew D,

Last year my buddy Pete got lazer surgury. Less than 24 hours later we are in our abandoned park here in detroit on his sherco he got a stick right in the eye! He realized that he never really worried about that untill he didnt have glasses on. He wore them for 40 some odd years. Now he rides with safety glasses on. Take a week off the bike or wear saftey glasses till your fully healed. He was not permanently damaged but they did have to banadge him up for a couple of days. Just a word to the wise.

--Biff

Great, Many thanks for the responses, those who have had it done seem to be advocates for the procedure with no adverse comments with regards trial riding. I have now made an appointment for a consulatation on the 11th April, just need the courage of your convictions. (Plus the cash)...

Rgds

Andrew

I had the older treatment for short sightedness (radial keratotomy - radial cuts partial thickness of the cornea) in 1995 at age 36 after wearing minus 3 glasses for 23 years. I had tried all the types of soft contacts available at the time but my eyes were too dry for them to work for more than a few minutes.

The radial keratotomy RK technique is now about 45 years old and was developed in the USSR. As with LASIK the results were astoundingly good for activities like Trials riding, swimming and snow skiing (yes we have snow in Australia).

It is now 12 years later and my vision for driving and riding is still fantastic but I am 48 and old-age vision has crept up to the point where I need reading glasses for close work.

LASIK was available at the time but was relatively new then so I chose the time proven RK method. Time has since proven the LASIK method as also being successful long term. I would have paid lots more than what it cost to get the results I got but don't tell the eye surgeons that.