Public Relations

cota kid

Lets be honest off road motorcycling (trials) has a bad image, albeit with the un-informed public who assume that anyone riding a trials bike is some marauding balaclava wearing youth out to destroy the peace and tranquility of the countryside. Some of the looks I've been given off rambers would have curdled milk, even after I've done the customary nod of the head and greeted them with a, ''Good Morning''. The real truth is very far from that. We are a family sport, consisting of people from all walks of life, who enjoy the countryside in a responsible manner.

To help improve our sports standing amongst other countryside users has the ACU or should thay consider employing some type of media PR company. If we can start fighting our corner and improving the public's perception of the sport then perhaps we might be able to stem the loss of land, that we rely on to run events?

Do the ACU have links with other groups that use the countryside, such as the Rambers Association, NFU etc. If we haven't I believe we need to start forging links and establishing a rapport.

Our sport depends on it.

In the real world that would work CK but people like rambler's and such like's don't live in the same world as we do.

It's not even about us destroying the nature to them,it's about there worthless life's in need of a little power.

A farm put on a 4WD charity event last summer,now we're talking one day in the year to raise money for a good cause,the local's made such a fuss after the event to the farmer about the noise,cut a long story short the farmer won't be putting on the event again.

That's the kind of people we have to try and reason with,i don't want to sound to negative,but it aint gonna happen with them kind of people.

Going back to rambler's.

Anyone that drive's a car down a country road on a sunday would find about 20 rambler's walking down the middle of the road thinking they own the damn road aswell.If they can't respect the car's driving on the road something they all do to get there in the first place what chance do us off roader's have.

How do we reason with thick head's. :D

Do the ACU have links with other groups that use the countryside, such as the Rambers Association, NFU etc. If we haven't I believe we need to start forging links and establishing a rapport.

Sometimes you have to start the ball rolling locally and establish your own rapport.

Do you or any member of your club have any links with other countryside assosiations??? If not why not!! Do you know your local RA committee, NFU rep, Defra contact?

See page 71 of the 2007 ACU handbook, plenty of help thier but I am afriad it will not come loking for you, you need to contact them.

We have to deal with these people, we cannot condemn all ramblers as beardy, chunky sweater types (and the blokes are just as bad) just like they cannot assume we're all bad. There will be people out there who know the countryside is for the benefit of everyone and needs to be managed as such and it is to these people we need to create dialogue.

I've spoken to walkers who actually took time out to watch people riding a trial and thought it was great and contributed to their day out.

There is some mileage to be gained with positive public relations, but I think the cost of an effective campaign would outweigh the benefits.

The best we can do, is to try and keep our own house in order. For example, make sure riders are aware of any public footpaths on route. The footpaths are clearly marked and that riders ride very slowly when near them.

On a different matter within the same subject. At last weeks Colmore cup, we now have a slight (potentially big) problem with a neighbour of one of the groups called Dovedale Wood. This fella has recently moved into a nearby farm (although I believe he is not a farmer) and has taken offence at the noise made by bikes in the wood. Fair enough, his right.

The problem we now have is compounded very much by the new breed of fourstroke trials bikes. I have never before stood outside the wood and been able to hear the bikes, but this year the sound of fourstrokes echoed for litteraly miles around.

I don't know which fourstrokes that were making the noise but I certainly couldn't hear any two strokes engine noise what-so-ever.

And I don't need to tell you who's house was between the bikes and where I was stood!

Why are the Montesa's so loud when the Beta's manage by sounding like sewing machines? It's not doing us any favours.

• 2 weeks later...