Novice On 250

scottt

Hi, i'm new to modern trials bikes, i've got an 04 250 and to be honest its just to much for me. I'm spending more time picking it up than i am riding it.

I've been looking through a lot of posts on here and there is a lot of info on taming the 290, would these mods work for the 250 as well?

What im contemplating doing is, fitting a slow action throttle, retarding the timing, and perhaps changing the gearing 10/40 at the moment.

Is there anything else you can suggest or am i better off swapping it for a Scorpa 125/175.

I realise my riding style might not help, i cant get into this on and off the clutch all the time, partly because i''ve never ridden like that and partly due to an old wrist injury that has me in a lot of pain if i do use the clutch a lot. (plus im over 40 and to old to change my riding style)

If possible it would be great if it would behave like my TY, but with much more power when i felt i needed it and of course better suspension and brakes. I do like the bike i just want to smooth the power out a bit, is it possible?

Scott.

hey! i have a 2.9 06 and i thought it was a beast at first then i put a slow throttle (black) and have been fine, just ride a lot and work on slipping the clutch and remember the more you twist the gas the more power you get! just practice and get used to the bike, i jumped from a 200 to my 2.9 and was sketchy at first but once you learn what it can do you will get the hang of it, the black throttle made a big change for me but by summer i will probably switch to a quick throttle. don't be afraid of it, just keep at it a little at a time, changing the timing and gearing is a hassle, you could look into reeds, they help smooth the bottom end a bit,but i'd say just practice........................................................john

I can tell you the mods work BETTER on a 2.5 than a 2.9, real pussycat! At least that was the case on my '05,

Throttle first,

Timing change, second

Boyesens then if it still seems too sharp!

Ride it between mods till you find your liking, you can always kick the timing up a bit as you get more comfortable.

As I too have problems with my old right wrist, I don't use a slow throttle, just mellow the bike, still plenty of power that you cannot get in a smaller displacement. :thumbup:

Scott,

I was also a vintage rider who turned modern and can recall having some of the same problems. I agree with the other replies that suggested switching to a black throttle tube (slow, 1/2 turn). I went from a 76 Montesa 172 and bought a Beta 200. When I got it, it had a white tube and I was all over the place when riding it. The next day we switched to a black tube and it was TONS better!

Another thing that I didnt know until recently, was to change the front sprocket on the bike. After I got rid of my beta, I got an 01 Sherco 290 and it was good for me, but I just recently got an 07 Sherco 250 and had them take the 10 tooth off and put a 9 on the front sprocket. Making that change also made a HUGE difference for me. The bike moves a lot slower just when putting around. Granted, it will go when you turn the throttle, but when you roll off the throttle, it slows much quicker.

With the clutch, I had to learn to "cover the clutch". I always ride with my pointer finger over the lever. That way, when I get into trouble, I can get back into control with just the pull of a finger. To avoid tiring your clutch hand, make sure your clutch engagement/disengagement point is just beyond where the lever rests on your middle finger. IE- you pull the clutch in with your pointer finger and it should rest on the back of your middle finger. Be aware also that Shercos come stock with silver pro levers. When I got my 250, I ordered the black AJP shortie levers. They respond slower and smoother. You might want to think about getting those if you dont have them on already.

Laura

Thanks for the replys.

I've fitted a slow action throttle, retarded the timing and fitted 9/42 gearing, and it feels great.

I seem to have more time, i dont have to worry about the clutch, im not stalling it as often and it feels much nicer to ride, plus theres plenty of power there when i need it, im much happier with it now, thanks.

Scott.