Trophies Or Not?

scorpa3

Isn't it funny how the people on here are represented by "I'd love a trophy or a gift" and the "I'd come and collected my award" crowd. There hasn't been a post from the "you can stuff your award and the cash, 'cus I can't be bothered to collect it" brigade.

If every award winner either collected or made arrangements to have their award collected, we would still be running a club championship now.

I just couldn't face calling out 30 or so winners in front of 150 people and finding that half of the winners simply hadn't bothered to attend. It easier and much cheaper to scrap the championships and run club trials for the fun of it.

Of course the other upside to this is, that the pressure is removed for me to find the full quota of observers. With no championship at stake, it's not so bad for the odd section to be observed by the riders themselves. Which also has the benefit that I put in as many sections as I like. Not five laps of eight because we've only got eight observers.

I'd happily go back to championship trophies/awards if every rider really wanted me to.

(One other note. We're an ACU club, so the only thing we can award youth riders is a trophy.)

I aint bothered about trophies :blink: I got loads from my golf competition days. I just like the competition of beating other people whatever it is, whether its business, golf or trials.

It is great to see the little ones go up and get their trophies though. Far better than getting one yourself I think.

I just had a thought! What would be of interest though if it were possible, is to have a trials league in a centre so you could see how you faired against other riders in your centre, not just the part of the centre you ride in. I could then for instance, look where I was in that league and see if I should travel to another club and ride against someone who is higher up than me and get higher in the league myself (if I should beat them)

Just an idea :)

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why not give framed certificates with the offer of a trophy if the rider asks for one. That way you have something to present if required and you can bin the certificate and reuse the frame if the recipient doesn't turn up or want it.

I just had a thought! What would be of interest though if it were possible, is to have a trials league in a centre so you could see how you faired against other riders in your centre, not just the part of the centre you ride in. I could then for instance, look where I was in that league and see if I should travel to another club and ride against someone who is higher up than me and get higher in the league myself (if I should beat them)

Just an idea :blink:

The fishing world runs a similar sort of thing. The basic rules are, the club has to enter the competition, it has to run 10 matches a year and there has to be at least 30 people fishing each match, the top 3 in each match score points, the results are added up throughout the year and at the end 1 winner becomes the UK club champion, its a very competitive thing and winning it is about as high an award as the normal club angler could ever possibly win, it has a big tackle company as sponser, a similar thing could work well in our world.

Or how about 1 end of year trial held somewhere central, winning your club championship gets you an entry, Clubman of the year, has a nice ring to it.

Just an idea ;)

The fishing world runs a similar sort of thing. The basic rules are, the club has to enter the competition, it has to run 10 matches a year and there has to be at least 30 people fishing each match, the top 3 in each match score points, the results are added up throughout the year and at the end 1 winner becomes the UK club champion, its a very competitive thing and winning it is about as high an award as the normal club angler could ever possibly win, it has a big tackle company as sponser, a similar thing could work well in our world.

Or how about 1 end of year trial held somewhere central, winning your club championship gets you an entry, Clubman of the year, has a nice ring to it.

Some good ideas there ScottT :) , The only trouble is as usual, the people who would be organising this are the very same ones struggling to run their own clubs and putting an extra burden such as this on them may make it a non starter.

It would need a centre to lay out a system like this and then be bold enough to introduce it !

I'm not one to be negative but I can't see it myself :blink: although I would like to be proved wrong. :thumbup:

On the non collecting point i came third in class back in 2004 and said i'd go to collect trophy from the presentation evening but forgot about it and never turned up- one p****d off secretary, came third again last year but there was no presentation evening or owt cos hardly anybody turned up the previous year so they not having one i don't think, i think they should give the kids the trophies and not bother with the adults as we don't seem to appreciate them as much

Some good ideas there ScottT :) , The only trouble is as usual, the people who would be organising this are the very same ones struggling to run their own clubs and putting an extra burden such as this on them may make it a non starter.

It would need a centre to lay out a system like this and then be bold enough to introduce it !

I'm not one to be negative but I can't see it myself :blink: although I would like to be proved wrong. :thumbup:

Thanks AtomAnt, the way the fishing one works is the sponser runs it all, they put up good prizes and they also have 1 of the match fishing monthly mags involved.

The mag runs a page or 2 every month with the latest updates and points, the sponser gets it name all over it, its like a nice big advert for them, the only mag that runs it picks up a few more sales becuse anyone thats in the comp wants to see how they are doing.

The club secretarys just send the results to the sponser, they add it all up and send them to the magazine, it works well.

All we need now is a sponser and a friendly magazine/website to get the ball rolling.

Anglers love it because in effect you are competing against everyone in the country, without the expense of travelling.

To be honest with the results that get posted on here, it wouldnt take much to have a "Trials Central Clubman of the year" just someone to spend a few hours every week sorting through the results, a few simple rules and it would be so easy.

Scott.

I know a few lads round here have opted not to receive their awards, and ask that the junior awards are extended.

I have no real interest in awards unless they actually mean something. Beating a couple of blokes and winning because I'm the only one who turned up for most of the rounds doesn't float my boat. You know when you've earned it - it needs to be a battle. My treasured awards have been for events or occasions I know I've worked for and they're both useful items.

They're actually both Decanters. I'd like to see a catalogue that riders could pick their awards from. Give them a monetary value and let them pick a decanter, then maybe next year two whisky glasses, then one, then a shot of whisky, then bugger all as they get worse and worse and they fall short of the full set :):blink:

Dunno - just an idea - you'd have to guarantee a catalogue that stayed the same over the years, but I'm sure people would try for it, even though they could probably buy the stuff with two entry fees :thumbup:

Edited by bikespace