Front Wheel Hop

rick1

Could someone please tell me; when doing a front wheel hop it seems to make sense to keep the front brake locked up, I think. But what about the rear brake. I'm new at this and still struggling with it. I can't make up my mind if the back brake should be apllied or not. Any assistance appreciated.

I tend to use both brakes on front wheel hops, not saying its the right way but I prefer it, bikes seems more balanced and stable doing it. Standing hard on the rear brake on back wheel hops as you land definately works, less chance of loosing your balance as it hits for some reason.

I tend to use both brakes on front wheel hops, not saying its the right way but I prefer it, bikes seems more balanced and stable doing it. Standing hard on the rear brake on back wheel hops as you land definately works, less chance of loosing your balance as it hits for some reason.

You shouldnt be hopping at your age justin.........and with that heavy bike of yours it cant be doing the old back much good :blink:

• 3 weeks later...

As long as you use the front brake on, you can manage it pretty well whichever way you do it, although like has been said above, I would use the clutch bite point rather than the brake.

What you've got to make sure is that you're using the fork compression rather than fighting against it. If you feel like you're pulling your arms off you're probably trying too hard. You need to get in to a slow rhythm as the forks compress and rebound so you're just helping the wheel up off the ground as the forks bounce slowly up and down. If you can manage it without the clutch then you should be able to do it even better once you add a timely blip of the throttle later.

P.S. I'm sh*te and from a non-hopping era but this makes it easy for me :o

Edited by bikespace