Mystery Revs

gaby

2001 2.9

Warm after 45 minutes of section riding.

2nd gear, clutch in, coasting downhill. rpm's mysteriously spiked, like the throttle was pinned.

Once rpm's spiked there was no response from throttle input. Clutch stopped working (I held front brake and rear wheel spun in dirt) Kill switch had no effect.

Seemed like 15-20 seconds at full revs, then the engine shut off abruptly.

I waited a few minutes and restarted. Everything seemed to be in working order, clutch, throttle, kill switch.

I rode sections for another 45 minutes with no issues.

I often give rides to my little boys and would hate for this to happen again with one of them on board.

Thoughts???

What happened could be known as the 'Rudolf effect' this probably first took place around 1858. In your case the crankcase probably filled with fuel, the engine being hot, and pumped the fuel through the transfer ports and ignited through the charge being ignited by pre ignition. In Rudolf Diesel's case he almost blew himself up. He was the first to prove that fuel could be ignited without ignition. During decents specially in low gears, make sure engine is not over used as brake (can easily over rev and overun), use rear brake to slow rear wheel rotation.

Edited by ask greeves

Okay , I'm a bit thick . Wasn't sure it to be an April fools thing .

What does a car wash have to do with it all , especially causing the clutch to become inoperative ?

When these things happen, it is the BRANE(not brain) that becomes inop! Much like people stepping on the gas, thinking they are pressing the brake harder in a car! Happens more often than you would like to know!

Waiting for a report to reveal how much water and dirt is still in the airbox! :rolleyes:

Well, I can't always say this about the undies, but the airbox and filter are clean as a whistle. I'm not sure what to think about all these theories. I have done another 4 hours of section riding since posting and the bike runs like a top. It was probably gremlins anyway. They have been known to attack small dogs and empty bottles of rum in and around my home. Damn Gremlins...