Spanish World Round

cota kid

Having just returned from the Spanish Round of the WTC, feeling very satisfied at the performance of the British riders, I thought I would give some of my thoughts on the event.

Both days competitions where to put it mildy, exceptionally tough. The torrential rain on the Saturday evening making the sections look impossible never mind cleanable. When you see the likes of Raga amd Fujigas taking a five rather than attempt a section then you know its difficult. The new one minder rule did not, in this round, lead to a reduction in the severity of the sections. The odd mattress being strategically placed to catch a falling rider, bike, minder or all three. Luckily enough there were no such accidents, although I did see some bad crashes.

However their were some real high points from the trial.

Dib's ride was not unbelivable, watching him practice you realised that he is making that step up to the next level. His performance on Sunday proved it. The TRW Factory set up is arguably the most impressive in the paddock. Him and Jack work well together. He was also the attention of some autograph seeking female admirers.

Browny. Didn't let his head drop after a very poor ride on the Saturday and seemed to take strength from it. Didn't just win on Sunday but won convincingly. Its always something special to hear the national anthem at a World Round. Cheers Michael. Cheers Shaun.

Wiggy. Again a disappointing Saturday, but an exceptionally credible ride on Sunday, in some horrendous conditions and on a 125.......On section 2 were all the riders were taking fives, by just riding in and then short cutting the section to the end flags. Wiggy had everyone in stitches by waving as he rode through.

Dougie. If anyone thinks he is there to make up the numbers, how wrong you are. Dougie still wants to win and is still more than capable of winning. As you are aware you only get to see a limited number of sections in a trial. The times I did see him ride he was riding very well. I honestly thought he was going to achieve the win, especially with conditions as bad as they were in Mancha Real, which would have suited him more than most.

Bou. The sections I saw him in he had fives and I genuinely thought he was having a poor ride. How wrong I was. His result was awesome. Comes across as a real friendly pleasant lad, always smiling, unlike some other more recent Spanish World Indoor Champions.

Whilst it was a great weekend for HRC / TRW Montesa's it was good to see Sherco, Beta and Scorpa 4 strokes performing exceptionally well. The 4 stroke revolution is here, but it begs the question what are the Gas Gas factory doing?

There seemed to be quite a number of British out in Mancha Real, which was good to see. Well done to all the British riders and a big thanks to me and DJ Denzil's chaffeur for the weekend. Thanks John.

Agree totally with Cotas comments.

Had a great weekend, met some old friends and made some new ones.

Cota was somewhat subdued by the genral lack of decent bars in the close vacinity of the hotel, however, this was made up by the copiest amounts of local brew, San Miquel.

Highlight of my weekend was meeting lots of great people, who live and breath trials including the manager of Future Racing.

A certain well known journalist, name withheld, managed to blag me a test ride on Fabio Lenzi 's Factory TRW 300 4RT.

It was only for a few minutes, but it must be the best

Thought I would add a few other snippets from the paddock that some people may find of interest.

The colour blue was abscent from Albert Cabestany's Sherco. Red, black and yellow graphics with red anodised rims, edges polished off. A really nice looking machine, but does this signal a move away from the blue colour normally associated with Sherco?

The engines on the 4RT HRC Montesa's look considerably more slimmer and lighter. No doubt we will never find out the capacity of the engine though. Still sporting last years graphics though, but as they still look fantastic who cares. These bikes still attract the biggest interest in the paddock.

Toni Bou was wearing a lycra Repsol jacket over his one piece suit. Closer inspection and the name Dougie Lampkin could be seen across the back. I wonder if any one got a photo of that?

As I've said before the Future Trial Racing set up was quite something. The 125 4RT seemed to perform very well indeed.

Gas Gas. Only had Adam Raga in the factory truck. I was under the impression they were going to let some of the other gas gas riders work out of it. Seemed to be a waste of space.

Having just watched the excellent video footage of section one. I'm quite frankly staggered that the top riders were allowed to get away with that line up the last climb.

Surely a pair of reds on a climb shouldn't be passed through in a huge loop so as to cut out the climb?

I'd have been unpopular as the observer, but you can stretch an imaginary straight line a little... but not back down the hill round some trees, up a footpath and back along the skyline- that would have been a five and no questions asked.

Or am I being unfair here?

Having just watched the excellent video footage of section one. I'm quite frankly staggered that the top riders were allowed to get away with that line up the last climb.

Surely a pair of reds on a climb shouldn't be passed through in a huge loop so as to cut out the climb?

I'd have been unpopular as the observer, but you can stretch an imaginary straight line a little... but not back down the hill round some trees, up a footpath and back along the skyline- that would have been a five and no questions asked.

Or am I being unfair here?

Thanks for the compliment on the footage, but if it weren't legal then surely it would have been fives all round? There were a number of FIM delegates in the press corridor at the time and witnessed what was going on, but nothing was raised by them or anybody else other than the crowd who were initially upset then came round to appreciating the skill involved in the cheating!

I personally think it sets a very bad example and is a trend I wouldn't like to see in the UK. What do other Observers think?

I rely on the 'imaginary straight line' rule when setting out a section. Without this, we would not be able to have three routes as boundary tape would need to e used between every marker.

The skill is exceptional, I don't blame the riders for doing it, but the officials should have fived the first person who went between those two reds on the climb. This is only my thoughts on it.

Once again, thanks Andy for getting this footage. Doesn't Alex Wiggs 125 stand out from the bigger bikes when he revs it!

Cant blame the riders for taking advantage of a poorly laid out section. The CoC cocked up. Simple as that. If he wanted them to go up there and not go anywhere else he should have taped it.

Although, if you remember at Hawkstone when Cabestany got a 5 for straying outside the line on that man made rock section (was it 15?)

Inconsistency in marking is part of trials and always will be.

Cant blame the riders for taking advantage of a poorly laid out section. The CoC cocked up. Simple as that. If he wanted them to go up there and not go anywhere else he should have taped it.

Although, if you remember at Hawkstone when Cabestany got a 5 for straying outside the line on that man made rock section (was it 15?)

Personally I think it was taking things way too far.

I certainly don't blame the riders. I'd have tried the same stunt myself in that position.

The point I was trying to make was that the Clerk of the course clearly intended the two reds to mark the side of a climb.... NOT a gate through which the riders could travel and go off into the woods for a joy ride before rejoining the section at the top.

Personally I think it was taking things way too far.

I certainly don't blame the riders. I'd have tried the same stunt myself in that position.

The point I was trying to make was that the Clerk of the course clearly intended the two reds to mark the side of a climb.... NOT a gate through which the riders could travel and go off into the woods for a joy ride before rejoining the section at the top.

Well he simply wasn't clear enough. To be clear you MUST tape. Its the only way :rolleyes:

You're obviously right on this occasion but surely we don't need to tape every gap which is big enough to squeeze a tyre through, just to stop riders going out of the section and getting a better line then coming back in?

You're obviously right on this occasion but surely we don't need to tape every gap which is big enough to squeeze a tyre through, just to stop riders going out of the section and getting a better line then coming back in?

I'm on your side on this Pete but in reality, you give these guys an inch and they will take a mile. There is simply too much at stake. Its not a club trial after all. :rolleyes:

I'm on your side on this Pete but in reality, you give these guys an inch and they will take a mile. There is simply too much at stake. Its not a club trial after all. :rolleyes:

I agree but whatever the level of event, the Observer made a rod for his own back by allowing the first rider to get away with it.

I'd make a bet that one of the riders asked if it was ok and the observer said yes. An unfair advantage compared with those who stayed within the confines of the section..... I think.