4rt Impressions

stkman

After 15 years of not riding I have taken the plunge and bought a 2005 4RT to get me back into it.

First impressions are snappy off idle power (plenty off it compared to my old TL125) and noise! Sure is loud! Has the end cap but will have to pull off the front pipe to see which other restricters it has. It will probably have them as at a trial last week, there were 4RTs that were much louder. Have read all the replies in this forum but seems no one has a solution yet (WES silencer mentioned but it needs to be significantly better for me to buy one).

Will probably get a slow action throttle and possibly a PTB in the future.

Has a 6 bolt 42 tooth worn rear sprocket so need to get a new one. Rear wheel is also 36 spoke. Is it a 315R wheel or were the early 4RTs like this?

Was told the clutch has progressive plates and feels really nice to me. A little drag but can start it in gear OK. Would a 315R cylinder improve it further?

Overall, I'm thrilled with it. Just need to learn to ride now.

Andrew

PTB good idea. 2 map PTB even better nice soft map for most sections then switch to map 2 (have the standard settings on mine) for big hills, loop round etc.

Just fitted the 315 master cylinder to my 06 out of curiosity rather than being unhappy with the clutch but def noticed a difference and glad I did.

Try the recommended gearbox oil ELF HTX740 at least once, it's expensive but very good it will probably cure you dragging clutch.

Enjoy :)

Just got an 06...so far rear caliper leaking oil everywhere, seals not been fitted properlt i guess...plastics on front disc guard broken..took over an hour to get the bolts out..even GasGas are better than these.......Love it sooo smooth.

Just got an 06...so far rear caliper leaking oil everywhere, seals not been fitted properlt i guess...plastics on front disc guard broken..took over an hour to get the bolts out..even GasGas are better than these.......Love it sooo smooth.

Still fat and ugly though.