Risk Assessment.

scorpa3

Many of us are still blindly, all be it with the very best of intentions, doing our best to complete and sign the RA forms for our events.

I was wondering how things are progressing with some kind of formal risk assessment training and/or a generic set of risk assessments for all trials Clerks of the Course to be able to refer to?

As I think I may have already indicated - there are now a group of people designated to work on this in 2007 - so that hopefully we will at least make progress.

I know there was a meeting last week - which was I think combined with environmental matters - as soon as I get some feedback or report I will be better placed to answer.

Likelyhood of Crash

_____________Catastrophic___Critical___Major_____Minor

Frequent___________1________3________7_________13

Probable___________2________5________9_________16

Occasional_________4________6________11________18

Remote____________8_______10_______14_________19

Improbable________12_______15_______17_________20

LOC 1 - 5 Extreme Intolerable

LOC 6 - 9 High Tolerable with Continuous Review

LOC 10 - 17 Medium Tolerable with Periodic Review

LOC 18 - 20 Low Acceptable with Periodic Review

My riding normally has a risk assessment of around 11, that means a new clutch lever every 8.2 trials and a rear mudgaurd every 10.3 months.

It can rise to around 7 if I choose to ride a grade higher where my risk of an prang is deemed Frequent/Major.

If I borrow my sons 270 Beta my risk assesment rises to 2 Probable/Catastrophic which means that I can't continue with the ride unless my wife gives me a waiver. :thumbup:

All joking aside to conduct a risk assessment as a clerk of course would mean that no one can ride unless we surround the sections in foam!!!!! and use that as mitigation..........

How do you fair in the Crash Assessment matrix????????

superb yamfan;

i think the acu should adopt your matrix.

seriously; is this another paper chasing exercise that will prove that a clerk of the course is literate but will have no bearing on whether he/she is truly competent?

common sense must prevail or we are going to scare the true enthusiasts away from this sport.

superb yamfan;

i think the acu should adopt your matrix.

seriously; is this another paper chasing exercise that will prove that a clerk of the course is literate but will have no bearing on whether he/she is truly competent?

common sense must prevail or we are going to scare the true enthusiasts away from this sport.

Yes common sense needs to prevail, however we all have to come to terms with the fact that; in the world of huge compensation claims, organisers must ensure that they provide a minimum duty of care to a set standard. Organisers need to be protected from posible law suits and carrying out proper RA goes a long way.

''World of huge compensation claims''

how many compensation claims have been made this month against trials officials, clubs, riders, how many in the last year, last 5 years?

i bet i could count them on one finger..

that dont mean it wont ever happen but that the risks of financial claims been made sucessfully must be very small .

surely more important than getting people to fill out forms would be to ensure that all trials are laid out by a competant person who the ACU/ AMCA has validated in that role. ( dont look for holes in the dyke, train / regulate the builders properly)

how many compensation claims have been made this month against trials officials, clubs, riders, how many in the last year, last 5 years?

i bet i could count them on one finger..

that dont mean it wont ever happen but that the risks of financial claims been made sucessfully must be very small .

surely more important than getting people to fill out forms would be to ensure that all trials are laid out by a competant person who the ACU/ AMCA has validated in that role. ( dont look for holes in the dyke, train / regulate the builders properly)

We've been fortunate, it rarely happens but it will for someone sooner or later.

Even competent, trained people can (and should) be held to account for their actions. It is at this point the person needs to show that they have considered the risks and taken the appropriate action.

To be able to do that, there needs to be evidence and that is where the RA form and process comes to play.

Remember, completing RA training also means that all officials are working to a common standard and that has to be good for all concerned.

Remember, completing RA training also means that all officials are working to a common standard and that has to be good for all concerned.

if only this was the case - a risk assessment assesses the risk - the important thing to do then is to control that risk. - this is where most fall down.

it is the implementation and monitoring of these control measures that matters.

In my 'other' job - the one i get paid for (not very well i may add) i regulate and enforce on legislation - Above anything else the thing that matters is having competent people managing the risks. More and more i see shelves full of risk assessments in neat binders but none of them converted into on-the-ground action.

sitting in a classroom and finding paragraphs in an ACU handbook bears no relation to how competent an individual is in laying out a trial.

when i got my CofC certificate - my Mother-in-law sat the same course and test that i did - and passed, but she would be first to admit that she couldnot act as CofC for a major trial.

dont get me wrong - i believe in good meaningful training but it has to be part of the picture not the only answer. What we do have are many many experienced officials out there with a wealth of knowledge - ther danger is that they get disilusioned by being told "your no longer competent" as you dont have the right bit of paper - lets use these individuals to mentor and pass on their knowledge to new blood; quite how its done i dont know, but if we are serious about protecting ourselves in a court of law then we should think about it.

Right - i'm off to finish writing my risk assessments for next week !

• 3 weeks later...

the national CofC (Trials & Enduro) i sat recently (last year IIRC) had a great section on risk assessment, including many model forms of varying complexity (including one with a matrix like above). IMHO doing one is "good practise" on our part for when something goes wrong, and you need to be prepared, as incidents do happen.

overthehill - having been to Rugby for National Council on Saturday, there is a guy form the environmental committee who has written a risk assessment for major events (ie big crowds, rather than the motorcylcesport side of it), as some club have been asked by local councils to produce one. Those of us in the business of dealing with serious crowds (the benchmark of 3,000+ was given) really do need to be on the ball with this one (or someone will change the law and enforce the "purple book" on us)

the national CofC (Trials & Enduro) i sat recently (last year IIRC) had a great section on risk assessment, including many model forms of varying complexity (including one with a matrix like above). IMHO doing one is "good practise" on our part for when something goes wrong, and you need to be prepared, as incidents do happen.

overthehill - having been to Rugby for National Council on Saturday, there is a guy form the environmental committee who has written a risk assessment for major events (ie big crowds, rather than the motorcylcesport side of it), as some club have been asked by local councils to produce one. Those of us in the business of dealing with serious crowds (the benchmark of 3,000+ was given) really do need to be on the ball with this one (or someone will change the law and enforce the "purple book" on us)

fully agree

when you start managing crowds you have responsibilities - and if you take an entrance fee you have even more.

i'm first to state risk assessments are essential but the point i'm making is that they alone are not sufficient and having a competent person who can show that he has considered all the risks is what is needed (and of course it is good practice to record these)

It would be good to have a forum to share best practice and perhaps the ACU should have a section on their website with downloadable examples, guidance etc.

It sounds like the ACU national CofC seminar is somewhat better than the SACU one i sat (although it was nearly 3 yrs ago) - i will find out this year when i resit it!

• 9 months later...
Many of us are still blindly, all be it with the very best of intentions, doing our best to complete and sign the RA forms for our events.

I was wondering how things are progressing with some kind of formal risk assessment training and/or a generic set of risk assessments for all trials Clerks of the Course to be able to refer to?

Now this is starting to look a bit more encouraging. See copy of ACU RA below. Any chance of a training seminar on this?

-------------------------------------------------------------------

PROFORMA FOR RISK MANAGEMENT AT

ACU PERMITTED TRIAL EVENTS.

INTRODUCTION

The assessment of risks associated with the sporting element of Trial events has been undertaken by the ACU Trial & Enduro Committee, and is reviewed annually.

The steps required to be taken by event organisers are included in the ACU Handbook which is published annually.

This Risk Management Form is a simple proforma which allows organisers to check that they have put in place all of the necessary requirements, and to demonstrate to public bodies if required that a proper risk assessment for the event has been undertaken.

The only exception to this is at item 1, Start layout, where organisers are required to assess the risks associated with the location and layout of their own venue.

A blank space is provided at the end of this form to allow clubs to undertake their own risk assessment for items which are not covered by the ACU