Trail Or Trial, Whats Your Pref.

joostio

I was just wondering how most people like to spend thier time on the pegs, here in Courtenay on Vancouver Island we don't have an official club so we mostly ride trail. where do you ride and what do you prefer? Trails or events or just a practice area?

Edited by joostio

Statistics will tell you that at least in Canada - only about 30% of Trials bike owners ever enter a Trials competition, - most bikes are used for trail riding, or just playing at trials techniques. I'm not sure why this is, but it could be because many events are seen as being too difficult. We have tried to encourage new riders through Fun Days, with no pressure etc, but many people still prefer to just ride in the Mountains or on their own acreage etc. - I think that you guys in the Comox area have a good set up, meeting every Sunday for a ride - You may want to take the next step and form your own club - nothing elaborate, just a way to organize some junior type events & take it from there.

Hey Dave, I really enjoyed your event in Shawnigan but I must admit that I still enjoy trail ridding the most, stopping at obstacles and playing around, climbing mountains with killer terrain and views. I asked this question because I wonder what the difference is between us and Europe, we must have much better terrain access and I imagine this effects why and what people ride.

We do have a good system here in Courtenay, we meet for breakfast on Sunday morning and head out to the hills after food. sometimes we ride with only 2 or 3 people or on a good day more then 10 ridders. I have thought about forming a club but see some negatives to it, as a club you can be held accountable were as we just ride as a group fairly unorganized. With logging companies constantly closing areas access is becomming a problem on the island. although proper communication with them and getting permision is the right way to go, I don't have time to do that. We act responsible and fly below the radar for now, there are some negotiations in effect and the turn out wil be very interesting to us.

as far as interest in events goes: I would like to see more clubs or groups of people hosting a ride. Show off some of your best locall terrain. We used to have a ride in this area called "the no mams" I have never been on it and hear rummors of it comming back, I look fprwrd to it. we also have a very loose plan to ride with some guys in Powell River, we plan to push our bikes on the ferry and get picked up on the other side in a cube van. Us north islanders have extended invitations to both Steve Fracy and Dave Fair, we would love to have some guest ridders join us this summer, (the invitation is open to anyone). I think this trail ride host thing could help for more ridders to meet and see some great new terrain, may cater to more of the ridding most people do.

nice to have a place to chat about this.

Trails

Was out for some trail riding on the Sherco 2.9 in some woods single track....nice....nothing like tossing a 69kg bike around. Hammer the trail or stop and plonk on a obstacle....your choice, either way it's just plain FUN. Free riding is it!!!!

As it slowly gets harder to ride a Dirt Bike around these parts (police, ATV clubs (harrasment), land issues, insurance costs/avalibility, etc.), I'm turning towards trials. It's a new challenge but I can also play in my backyard 1 acre lot or on private properties without any BS....I like that part.

Next step for me will be to organize a trial...got a property to use...just need the help.

Oh and my fav video....

can't wait for the next one!!!!!

hey joostio looking forward to having you guys over here for a ride. we want to head that way too most likely in the summer some time. most of our riding is in "sections", one to the next, but also have some great trails. we had 12 or so guys up from vic last year.

Trails

Was out for some trail riding on the Sherco 2.9 in some woods single track....nice....nothing like tossing a 69kg bike around. Hammer the trail or stop and plonk on a obstacle....your choice, either way it's just plain FUN. Free riding is it!!!!

As it slowly gets harder to ride a Dirt Bike around these parts (police, ATV clubs (harrasment), land issues, insurance costs/avalibility, etc.), I'm turning towards trials. It's a new challenge but I can also play in my backyard 1 acre lot or on private properties without any BS....I like that part.

Next step for me will be to organize a trial...got a property to use...just need the help.

Oh and my fav video....

can't wait for the next one!!!!!

Good vid......pity about the dodgy facial hair.... ;)

Joostu - The long trail type event was the thing that first attracted me to Trials back in 1955 - my first event was 70 plus miles long ( Wales) - I was out yesterday plotting & flagging some of the loop for the upcoming Outlaw Trial on May 19/20. - You will enjoy this ride as the loop is quite long ( by modern day standards) and very scenic. - We expect a large entry with a lot of people camping out - great social weekend.

I have to agree with the T R A I L riding aspect, as the most fun I've ever had is at Ioco, doing what is known as :Follow Ted Til You Drop Dead.

Ted Blow, one of the old timers in the club, knows the area so well....just fill your tank and follow him for a tour of the riding area, that is such an enjoyable way to spend a day.

• 2 weeks later...

• 4 weeks later...

The Outlaw Trial in Summerland May 19/20th - provided riders with an ideal "Trail ride" on their Trials bikes, over a 12km loop while still enjoying a good competition in the 20 sections - Ted Blow was there, and so were many Vancouver Island riders - the camp out and family focus, make this one of the Premier events of the year - this was the 21st running of the Outlaw - you guys who missed it - missed a great one.