Terra Nova

no jive

Watching the video on the last post made me wonder. What happened to the Terra Nova. My Dad rode the event several times (I think he went for the beer) and I rode it once with my brother.

If I remeber correctly it was basicly an enduro on Vancover Island. The event was always on your Thanksgiving. It was about 90 miles each way and started from your property (do you still have the property?). The event was more like one long section. It was very tough.

I think I rode the event in around 1984. I know I did not win and was very tired after the first day. But it was the most amazing ride I have ever ridden.

Watching the video on the last post made me wonder. What happened to the Terra Nova. My Dad rode the event several times (I think he went for the beer) and I rode it once with my brother.

If I remeber correctly it was basicly an enduro on Vancover Island. The event was always on your Thanksgiving. It was about 90 miles each way and started from your property (do you still have the property?). The event was more like one long section. It was very tough.

I think I rode the event in around 1984. I know I did not win and was very tired after the first day. But it was the most amazing ride I have ever ridden.

Interesting

In Ontario there is the Terra Nova Enduro which has been a CMA event for many many moons.

Clive:

Yes the Terra Nova still exists! But it is now run out of Lake Cowichan (where the overnight stop is). In my opinion it is still a good event but notat all like it was back when you rode it! In it's heyday, just finishing was an accomplishment! But, just like the Scottish, during the late eighties, entries had a serious downward turn. So, the severity of the event was eased to accomodate a broader base of rider's which is a good thing because it takes the committee the better part of the year to set it up.

As well now land issues are a huge problem, with the logging company that owns most of the land requiring huge liability policies to be held by the club. Like everything, it is just not the way it was! One good thing Clive is that the club still owns the acre parcel that it has held for many years now just on the outskirst of town. Although alot of members seem to think that it should be sold, it is the gem in the club's assets. I grew up watching my Dad ride, and set up the Terra Nova and then went on to ride it a few times myself. It is still a very unique and fun event. Well worth riding still today.

I remember your Dad coming up and riding as well as another guy..............his name escapes me. Ken................somebody.

Cheers, Steve

In 1984 my good friends Jay Terry, Brad Skreen, Tom Young plus several others rode Terra Nova on Vancouver Island. Jay told a story about riding his IT Yamaha into a water hole in Jordan Meadows that was so deep he could not touch bottom. Luckily his ultra humongous gas tank was almost dry at the time, thus his bike was bouyant, and he was able to swim with it! I suspect it was a wet year. Steve, the guy who rode Terra Nova with Clive's dad was probably Ken Burnigham, another British Expat who rode the scottish way back in the early sixties, on a Greeves. He's a heck of a nice guy and rides vintage trials and MX in AHRMA.

Sorry it took so long to get back. I think that Steve is thinking of Ken Marecak. I think he also rode the Terra Nova several times. I know a bunch of PITS members would go up there evey year.

I can remember my Dad placed one year and flew back up for the (beer) trophy. I know it was a vey hard event to even place.

At the start when I rode I wanted to win. By the end of the first day I just wanted to finish.

We also stayed with the Titertons, They are friends of my Mom & Dad. Does he still ride?

Interesting

In Ontario there is the Terra Nova Enduro which has been a CMA event for many many moons.

Yes, many moons. 50th anniversary this fall as a matter of fact.

Dilemma...do I take the BSA for historical anniversarry ride, or the KTM (with working plush suspension) for the modern ride?

Huntmaster, ride the Beezer! Riding vintage bikes is more rewarding.

Clive, winning the Terra nova is only possible if you have some idea how to keep time in kilometres. Burning checks as badly as possible for sport was my way of dealing with the fact that winning was just not in the cards. I got into multiple cat and mouse games with Stan Backgaard when he was riding a Yamaha IT 200. We raced through as much of the island as we could at breakneck speed. I remember being so sick from drinking proper canadian beer that I couldn't stop dry heaving while riding cable hill. It is a very very steep long hill with about a one onch steel cable running lengthwise up the hill, sometimes semi buried in the earth and about a foot above the ground in other places. I barfed all the way to the lunch check where Maureen Williams was asking me what was wrong, while I couldn't seem to stop heaving long enough to eat my lunch. Ah the lost days of miss-spent youth.

Interesting

Yes, many moons. 50th anniversary this fall as a matter of fact.

Dilemma...do I take the BSA for historical anniversarry ride, or the KTM (with working plush suspension) for the modern ride?

Take the BSA there Doug. Think how rewarding it will be to finish the event on vintage iron. Re-live them there early years riding real bikes..............??????????

Hard to believe the Terra Nova here is 50 years young

Richard.

Never did ride the Terra Nova (BC) - although I was asked quite a few times - the trip from Alberta was always too long or expensive - or maybe the horror stories got to me??

Interesting to hear the Eastern event is 50 yrs old - I find it hard to believe that my Outlaw Two Day Trial ( The other important event in May) - will turn 21 in a couple of weeks. - Lots of Vintage fun at this one.

Take the BSA there Doug. Think how rewarding it will be to finish the event on vintage iron. Re-live them there early years riding real bikes..............??????????Hard to believe the Terra Nova here is 50 years young

Richard.

Except my early years were on Hondas and Yamahas!

As for the 50th anniversary, I was surprised to find that out as well. One more reason to feel old!

The historic ride, word has it will be fairly vintage friendly, easy trails, unimproved roads etc. Might help keep both bike and body intact. The biggest risk to the latter might be from the bike's original owner and restorer (a.k.a. father) if I damage it! :wall:

Regards, Doug

The VMC Terra Nova must be coming up to being around 40 yrsold ! The event was the concept of Jeff Phillips and Joe Brown. Joe was a local Yamaha dealer for many years and a VMC club member. He was also my first sponsor. He still holds the record(and will never be broken) for the most trials bikes sold in one year by a Yamaha dealer back in the 70's. Sadly he was taken from us too early with cancer, and thus we hold the Joe Brown Memorial Trial in his honor every year now since 2000. It is also now the first round of the Outlaw Series.

Steve

• 6 months later...

• 10 months later...

Always said I would do it, and it looks like this year is it. October 12th and 13th, talked with Adrian Lewis he said he and John Haaker would go, Jay Terry and Tom young are going,Stan Bakgaard is off, Dennis and Keith Sweeten are possible.

I looked up the VMC web site http://vmc.bc.ca/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

couldn't find info for entries, do I need to send in a entry form ?