Bad Weekend - Lessons Learned.

ianj

Hi all,

Relatively clear skies and a hot'ish (for Scotland) 17deg. Sunday was definitely going to be a great weather day for some trials practise.

My mates and I hit the hill and immediately got stuck into our warm-up section. 30minutes in and my Mont's mudguard was flapping like a good 'un, the single bolt at the front of the seat had gone! So it was arrrgghh!!!, as I noticed my nice new tools bag had all the right tools, even brake fluid and a puncture repair kit for goodness sake.....but any spare nuts and bolts - NOT A ONE!

After walking around eyes glued to the ground for 15 minutes - Nothing! So, stuck the keys to the van down my boot and rode the 10 minutes to the van toolbox. Searched, raked and raked again and eventually found a bolt. Brilliant!!!

Rode back up ready to start again, but there's my two mates crowded round the back of his Sherco......the chain tensioner in a million bits - "I hit a rock and it exploded", the small bolts that hold the rubber on had sheared......5 minutes fumbling and it was of down to the van again for more bolts. Could only find one bolt and a nail. Yup, the chain tensioner ended up being secured by a nail through the rubber and bent over at end!

Later in the day we had decided the ground was dry enough that the 5ft rock face could be attacked. 3 or 4 times up and my mates Sherco (same one) made an awful crunch noise from the back end. "It's okay I said, I think the chain just jumped off then on again".....so he went round and had another go. After falling backwards off the step it was apparent he had ZERO back brake.

A quick inspection and we realized that one of the bolts holding the disk on had gone. Looke dlike it had slackened off enough to touch the caliper where it had cut a very neat 5mm deep 'groove' in the caliper and then fallen out. However, it didn't just drop to the ground, oh no, it trapped itself in the disk and proceeded to jam things up enough that the other three bolts sheared completely. The crunch I had heard was the bolts shearing!

On the way home the front windscreen on the van cracked.

Note to self - tighten ALL bolts in future.

Ian.

Rough weekend Ian. I too had a little trouble this weekend when riding my enduro bike. Tried to cross an unknown "puddle" that turned out to be a pond! ;) Totally drowned it...I mean filled crankcases, carb, pipe...everything.

Thank God for 2 strokes! A few minutes of draining (and wringing airfilter) and a fresh plug and I was back on the trail. B)