Ariel Oil Leak

steve47

have a ariel with oil leaking from the vent hole at rear of mag housing, has a morgo pump fitted and the scavenge return looks fine.

started to strip down, am thinking some form of oil way fault.any ideas please

If its coming out of there ( the brass elbow on the inner timing chest should have a ball in it to allow air out but not able to suck anything back in) the engine must be 'wet sumping', because for whatever reason the pump is not returning oil to the tank fast enough. The first thing i would check is that the return pipe from the engine to the tank is big enough and with no restriction- thats assuming the pump is in good order and been primed properly. The Morgo circulates a lot more oil than the Ariel pump, and the return pipe could be slowing the return.

If its coming out of there ( the brass elbow on the inner timing chest should have a ball in it to allow air out but not able to suck anything back in) the engine must be 'wet sumping', because for whatever reason the pump is not returning oil to the tank fast enough. The first thing i would check is that the return pipe from the engine to the tank is big enough and with no restriction- thats assuming the pump is in good order and been primed properly. The Morgo circulates a lot more oil than the Ariel pump, and the return pipe could be slowing the return.

thanks for reply all you have said i had already checked.the oil is comeing from a vent hole just below the brass elbow,therefore should there be slightly higher pressure in the timming chest than atmospheric pressure maybe to help return oil back down to crank case? when i removed the cover at the bottom of the crank case there did not seem to be an excessive amount of oil come out. im probably on the wrong track but i think the problem is the oil not getting back to the crank case fast enough. please tell me if i am wrong

thanks for reply all you have said i had already checked.the oil is comeing from a vent hole just below the brass elbow,therefore should there be slightly higher pressure in the timming chest than atmospheric pressure maybe to help return oil back down to crank case? when i removed the cover at the bottom of the crank case there did not seem to be an excessive amount of oil come out. im probably on the wrong track but i think the problem is the oil not getting back to the crank case fast enough. please tell me if i am wrong

think i have found problem, after stiping down found lots of bits of sillicon instant gasket in oil ways, there was three different colours of the stuff.

think i have found problem, after stiping down found lots of bits of sillicon instant gasket in oil ways, there was three different colours of the stuff.

started up today and the return oil into the frame resevoir is more like a fountain than the bubbling i had before. thanks 'trickymicky'