Sherco Virgin

the addict

Right then, bit of a blind plunge, picking up the Sherco next week and never actually riden one before, so what can I expect? power wise, handling,gearing etc etc. I ve been used to Rev 3's for a while now but more happy when I had Gassers as I felt happier how they rode and felt. I have heard the bars might feel abit low and the gears might take a bit of getting used too.

Thanks for any comments good or bad

Just

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The beta i had was an 02 250, a bit knackered but it still rode good...

Then got the sherco december time, first thing i noticed was obviously the power and having a super fast throttle attatched.

Then the gears like you say........these took quite a bit of getting used to and i was using second way too much but have now got usd to it, although cant make my mind up whether to drop a tooth at the back.. also the shercos arent as quick as the betas..damn

Overall the riding position isnt that different to the beta i had and changed over quite well (i think)

You also have to learn to lean back more than with the beta, and it wont turn as tight but you wont get that front end tuck like the betas have, this was my main downfall when switching as i wasnt turning early enough and had to put the boot down :banana2:

Hope this helps

I have an 04 sherco 290.I found the gearing hard work at first.Its a great bike.I think the the ony time the gearing dissapoints is when you want to do say a long climb,you rev nuts off in 3rd,change to 4th and its like you`ve changed up 2 gears!.

Just a case of getting used to it :banana2:

Seems to be getting a bit anxious, he is! :moon:

Leave the blinking gearing alone! Learn to ride all your sections in second gear(unless there is something massive) and learn to use better clutch control to smooth things out and find traction without spinning! ;)

You may find the slow throttle better to start off with! ;)

The later models seem to pull 4th much better in the lower revs, nice on the trail! It will also perform massive high speed power wheelies! :banana2:

This is a bit of an upopular view but first gear is very useful in tight situations, I find that you have to be perfect with the clutch using 2nd, but 1st will just pull you along. But I am a little weird anyways I mostly use first on flat ground, and second on the hills. If a large obstacle (3ft or so) on flat then I will use second. I am just now starting to use third on the hills. But then again I ride like crap and I am constantly shifting in the section. What is the gearing difference from a 2000 and 02, 04, and 07?

You should stick to the Beta mate the way you rode again last night. Taken you 10 months to get it right and then you are trading it in. Tell Mr Kemp i will have ya Cabber Rep.

Copemech you ride every thing in 2nd and higher is this due to the Sherco having a very low 1st gear or just you because Justin is never out of 1st even in the wet on tight stuff.

See!! do not do it Justin you will be unable to use first, rubbish.

Dad he is going to the BLUE side.

Duke he only attracts the boys.

Leave the blinking gearing alone! Learn to ride all your sections in second gear(unless there is something massive) and learn to use better clutch control to smooth things out and find traction without spinning! ;)

A lot of sections round here need 1st gear so the bike is much more controllable, makes you use a better technique :moon:

As for the gearing youre moaning about, there often isnt enough run up to use 4th and 3rd sometimes isnt quite enough so i was looking for an in between the two. :banana2:

No Ralph, first is not too low! Using second(which is only slightly higher) makes you slip the clutch and apply power properly without getting into the revs and spinning. AND you will not come up short on bigger stuff!

The clutch reacts quicker than the throttle! And is more controllable! A little PoP will get you over small gaps and stuff effortlessly and without revving!

You will seldom see an advanced rider using first on anything! No matter what bike!

On big climbs, let it rip in 3rd and go! :banana2:

Thanks for the comments guys :banana2: pretty sure the Sherco wont feel to alien to anything else I have ridden in the past. Copemech i will definatley perservere using second a lot more but a lot of the sections we cut are pretty tight and the last time any of us hooked 2nd was 4 years ago on a particulary straight bit of moor crossing at the reeth so might take a while to get used to it.

Both me and Dad have noticed over the past few months how the Sherco seems to find grip where other bikes seem to slip and the motors seem very smooth and clean and have a very fast pickup from nothing.

Ralph you might be right about the male attention over the female? Ewers recons I will have a certain person on my doorstep most nights dressed in Blue :moon: " I cant beleive your getting a Sherco Boy!!!!" "Dog **** Ralphy"

I said I would not do it, but the piccies make me want a red rimmed bitch to flog!

As anticipation grows, you will have a blast on it!

Only two points of note, you will probably need to remove the airbox and jack up the rear spring preload after the spring has initially seated in. The grub screw may not be obvious on the adjuster ring, but you need to find it if the standard '07 shocker is in use. Took near 5 full turns on mine to get the static sag correct after break in.(20-30mm)

The bike is quick and powerful, the Boyesens smooth the power off the bottom, a change of timing reduces it a bit overall. All depends upon what you want!

Can you ride like Caby? :banana2:

Thanks for that Copemech :banana2: last ride on the Beta today, had the bike 12 months now and have only started to ride it right over the past couple of weeks ;) hope i will make the transfer smoothly and not go backwards abit but really looking forward to giving Blue a try at last :moon:

Copemech, Beta is a 270 had quite a few now, bought Betas since 01 when a new Gasser let me down badly three times in 5 weeks so played it safe build quality wise and went for the Beta. Never really clicked with them but you know they will go the distance and not let you down in the middle of no-where, still want a Gasser as I love the way they ride and feel but just cant bring myself to buy one. Sherco seems the next best option, more like the Gasser than the Beta and from what I have seen recently body position doesnt seem to be as critical on the Sherco as it does on the Beta. I moved my bars a couple of weeks ago and for the first time ever on the 06 stuck them in the right place, always thought it would be a compremise too far forward or too far back but they are spot on now. Been riding alot better because of it and feel happy on the bike at last thats why I am a little anxious over the swap-over at the moment but I think I will get on fine with Blue. Since getting the bars in the correct position I have suddenly found I can do a couple of things I couldnt do before, probably could do them but only when the bike is set up in the right position . I will be spending the first days moving the bars about untill they are spot on and writing the position down in big numbers on the workshop walls so I never forget again. There again I may not need to alter much from the off on the Sherco as it might suit me straightaway and the big numbers on the walls might just say SHERCO instead :banana2:

Might just try some of those guards as well mate, got any pics?

Edited by Betarev3