Gas Gas Txt 250 Forks

mafferz

Hi everyone, I've just bought a 2003 gas gas txt 250. Everything works fine but I've noticed that when you bounce the front end and lift it off the floor you get a clunk as the fork sliders hit the stop inside. It's as though there's a slight bit of slack when the front wheels are off the floor, does anyone know what the remedy is? Any help would be really appreciated. Also are there any known faults with this model? Thanks mafferz

Hi there,

front end clunks are unusual on these models. Could be a loose head bearing as suggested, if not it may be that there is not enough oil in each leg. Best to drain the oil, strip and clean the fork internals if you have time/inclination, refill with 5 weight, 280ml each leg.

The 250 is a good motor, best to change the gearbox oil as this also feeds the main bearings. 350ml of a mineral oil or an ATF rated to Dexron III. Do not use synthetic. Most of our riders here usually run with a 10T gearbox sprocket, for me, the standard 11T tends to be too high in the creeks.

The 04 airbox was stronger/better than the 03. Check the airbox is well sealed where it joins the seat base, see if you can pick up an extra large airbox rubber flap - not sure if shirty has them - it really helps to keep the water out. You'll need this if you are riding in the river sections at Harwood Dale!

Bye, PeterB.

My buddies bike made that noise and I suspected low oil in the forks. I looked underneath the fork tubes and one of teh bolts was loose hence all of the fluid in that leg leaked out. I'd make sure all bolts, drain screws ect. are tight as well.

Good idea lpd.

Mafferz - can you confirm the bike is a 2003 PRO 250. (The airbox is screwed into the bottom of the seat base and the tank sticker has TXT PRO 03 on it)

If so, then definately go with 350ml in the g'box.

I don't know when the older style motor stopped making it's way to the UK. I would be pretty sure that by 2003 there would only be PRO models available. The older motor would have been re-filled with 700ml oil.

Bye, PeterB.