Need Help With 315 Brakes

wingedpig

I recently purchased a 2002 Montesa Cota 315. I got the bike for a good price and it is in pretty good shape, except for the front brake. The previous owner described it as having a "wooden" feel, and he sent me new pads that I installed. This seemed to do a lot for improving the feel of the brakes, but they still were not right.

I ordered a master cylinder rebuild kit from "Apex" and I think they sent me the wrong one. I have since spoken with Denise at Apex, and she is checking on the possibility of them listing the wrong part. So far they have been great folks to deal with, and I'm sure they will get me straight on the rebuild kit.

My problem is when I took the master cylinder apart everything looked fine. I put it all back together and it took me forever to get the brake to develop any pressure at all, but it finally did. Even after bleeding it for some time, and not seeing any bubbles at all, the brake is now worse than it was when I started.

Am I missing something here? I understand that trials brakes should be pretty strong, but this is just not getting it and I'm about at my wits end. Yeah, I know, that might be a short trip for me, but I would really appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction.

Thanks.

Hi...

Try this one out...a method from my younger biking days....

Put fresh brake fluid in a suitable squeezable container such as a washing up liquid bottle. (Dont shake it up because this will introduce air.)

Using a short length of plastic hose between bottle and bleed nipple, "back fill" the system from the bottom upwards, venting excess fluid from the master cylinder until no more bubbles appear.

The way this improves on the standard method is that air naturally gets expelled upwards, assisted by the flow of fresh fluid. The normal method of filling from above can sometimes result in air being trapped (i.e not rising to the top before the next squeeze on the lever).

If the slave cylinder looks like it has trapped volume above the "nipple line" where air may collect, combine my method and the standard method - that way you will have removed air in both directions....

Worth a go...if you're at your wits end....hope it helps

Nick

I rebuilt my master too, had a heck of a time bleeding. I removed the entire calliper in placed it above the master with a thin peice of wood where the rotor would go. I bled it and then installed onto bike, worked good.

another method, fill brakes from the bottom up. Use a large syringe and with a small hose on the bleed nipple to fill it. once fluid reaches the master it should be good to go. just like the post above

Edited by joostio