Rear Shock Question

lpd

I recently replaced my rear shock with a new shock and thought I'd measure the sag ect. last night. I have 1/2 inch static sag, and 1 inch total sag. This seems low for total sag to me...if memory serves me right should sit about 2 inches? Its a sach shock on a 2000 TXT. Any thoughts on what I should be shooting for?

With an inch the suspension seems a little stiff.

Edited by lpd

Half to one inch sag would be fine for me, what colour spring is it? I think black would be it for a replacement shock which is ok. Is the damping adjustment backed off? (Anti clockwise).

Bye, PeterB.

Half to one inch sag would be fine for me, what colour spring is it? I think black would be it for a replacement shock which is ok. Is the damping adjustment backed off? (Anti clockwise).

Bye, PeterB.

Hi Peter. The shock is grey with a yellow spring. I can't get more than an 1.5 inches of sag as when I loosen the collar nuts off of the shock the spring becomes too loose and moves freely in between the locking nuts and the bottom base. Not sure about the anti-dampening. It is full to the - adjustment. Should it be adjusted towards the + side? This would be anti-clockwise. The shock is new so the spring isn't sagging.

It seems like your shock is set ok, adjustment full out to the minus sign - in your case this is clockwise. I don't have a shock handy to have a look at for you to confirm the settings, my present one is an Ohlins. The yellow spring colour is std for the later model Sachs Boge shock. Are you sure there are no seized linkage bearings or even the linkage pivot bearing in the swinging arm? Are the s/arm bearings ok? Nothing else catching preventing movement?

Can't think of anything else to check for.

From new, the rear suspension does feel a little stiff but this usually beds in after 2-3 trials.

Bye, PeterB.

Peter is right the shock will loosen up after an event or two, I would worry more about greasing the linkage and adjusting the shock soft enough to get lift on all those rear wheel hops your fixing to do with this new shock.

i have the same shock on my pro 2005 i think :S....i set mine up sweet using a guide in trialsworld if i can find it il post it up on here. i also backed my damper adjustment or whatever it is fully off, my mate played with his and it fell off lol.