Sherco 80

alan bechard

Well, came home early to show Dean the bike and let him ride it some. He went out to work with the wife :D Now what are the odds, it was the first time this year I think he went out.

Anyway, they came home later, I told him to go get his boots out of the trailer and he could ride Christina's bike. He comes back into the house and say's, how come I cannot ride my new one in the trailer???

Well, so much for the dancing around excitement I was hoping for.

Anyway, he did get out and ride it, and did pretty well.

Of course we learned that the clutch does not disengage well right off the bat cold,,,,, :rolleyes::lol: but that must have been a learning point!!!!

Well, the swingarm is modded, new bearings ready to install in it, I am confident I can run the stock brake line with just a little extra loop to the side in it. Need to pick up an extra chain to cut to fit or see if I have one about. I wish I had spent more time making fixtures and jigs for doing the swingarm, and as usual I did not, have to see if I got it close enough.

Did not take the time to make up the sandbox for cooling, might pay for that later on.

Cut the bars down 1" on both sides from stock. Not sure if that was the right amount or not, but it seemed about right.

Need to play with front brake levers some, his is way out there, even with the adjuster all the way out.

He was smiles at the end of the day, so hopefully we can get in an hour or two a night so he can get warmed up for the Dixie Cup.

The Biggest smile came when he got the package in the mail from RYP with his Team Sherco RYP number plate today!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Short swingarm installed, brakes bled, everything seems to be working well, and off to the Dixie Cup for a weekend event.

(for you guys on the wrong side of the pond that is 4 to 5 hours drive for my "local" event)

The bike seems to be working real well, and Dean is adjusting to the clutch. Still have some fine tuning to do, but we will get there.

The Dixie cup went well. The bike held up and ran beautifully. I think the short swingarm helped some with traction, and it was definetely a trials where traction was at a premium.

Dean struggled some on the Youth sections, and it caused him some frustration knowing that he could have been cleaning them on the 50, but that is all part of growing up.

It really made a positive difference though when we got out on the main trail. The extra size, stability and power made it go a bunch better. While the 17" rear is not the equal to the 18" radial tire, it is certainly better on the wet, muddy trail than the 50's rear tire.

The extra size was bad upon occasion though when he got underneath it on the trail. But I found that when my adrenelin is pumping heavy and my kid is screaming I can pretty much toss a Sherco 80 like a discus. Thanks to Jim Watson for helping us get going again.

Next step is to polish out the swingarm and sticker it to make my cobby patch disappear.

The next mod is to tighten the turning radius, probably through full size triple tree's with the smaller forks.

Wow! Your keen sense of hearing is impressive, all the way across the Atlantic ocean you can tell my kids bike is about to explode???

I guess so long as I keep my Ickle kid off from it,,,,,,,

I am GOLLDEN!

Sorry Doug, could not resist!

Anyway guy, I am not sure what a bike that is about to explode sounds like, but Dean's sounds pretty good too me. It does have a different pitch to it normally, like when we were out in a group of 5 of us today, you could tell Dean was coming, but that was because his was the one running WFO all the time :D

I added the ARC lever front brake lever and it allowed for more / easy adjustments of lever position, I brought it in to where the lever pretty much is just clear of the bar when the front brake is fully locked.

I wish I had put on the ARC clutch lever last weekend, we imbedded it in a creek (burn) and left the end :wacko: glad I have that little welder sitting quitely in the shop!!!!

nah im not super... person?

a lil kid at the place where i ride has one and all he does is ride it backwards and forwards along the carpark revving it and occasionally theres a quarter of a lil tiny pipe and he does a lil jump over that and he goes about 6 inches into the air

he has the best helmet, best clothes and best boots and thats all he can do.

it sounds like one of those battery operated lil toy jeeps and stuff and they sound like theyre gonna explode..

i think the same of scooters going 30mph i feel as so im about here

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEE BOOM then a helmet flying past me

My little boy has a Sherco 50, screams it's nuts off every where he goes, and it never faulted in two years, many other people who have kids on them say the same thing.

It's a great little bike for 6 thru 9 year riders, so light they can throw it about without the weight of the bike getting the better of them.

Only problems they seem to have is big fat 200lb dads showing the mates just what they can do, when the poor little thing is made for 70lb kids.

Another good point about them is they hold resale value well, that always says a lot about how good people think they are.