Rear Suspension Air Pressure

dave dix

There are air adjustable units out there, try a low setting first (5psi) and see what affect it has. Like gtgasgas says, the unit probably needs rebuilt at that age but trying a bit air first (78% of air is nitrogen anyway) should let you know if it's leaking or not. If you find the correct setting and the seals are good then you could consider filling with pure nitrogen but unless the shocker is working like mad normal air is ok. Just so you know, compressed air (oxygen) and oil have an explosive effect (diesel engine!) thats why pure nitrogen is used. Personally I'd buy a new shocker.

Hope this helps ?

GJ

Thanks for the replies, i put in around 10-12 LB pressure 5 days ago and it seems to be holding OK but info on this model seems a bit scarce. It has the suzuki FULL FLOATER system

Dave

The valve is for nitrogen recharging only it is not

supposed to have air in it the rear shocks on those are well under damped

and not up to much really.I used to trail ride one and it's biggest let down was the suspension.

Thanks for the replies, i put in around 10-12 LB pressure 5 days ago and it seems to be holding OK but info on this model seems a bit scarce. It has the suzuki FULL FLOATER system

Dave

The valve is for nitrogen recharging only it is not

supposed to have air in it the rear shocks on those are well under damped

and not up to much really.I used to trail ride one and it's biggest let down was the suspension.

I must admit that the rear sus is very soft but it does seem a nice light bike to green lane with

Dave

The rear resevoir should have between 175 and 225 lbs of nitrogen pressure.

The pressure in the shock maintains the compressible space for the volume the shock shaft displaces as it enters the shock body. If you don't run enough pressure the seal head will move in the shock body. The pressure keeps the seal head in place. Some shocks run an inner and outer clip so this can't happen. Your bike probably has KYB's and they use a pressed together two clip set up.

You can use Air.

The difference is the air will change pressure with heat, while the nitrogen will remain constant.

You can buy a suspension pump from a bicycle shop so you can achieve the higher pressures easily and accurately. I didn't answer before because I didn't know the exact pressure. But I know it will have to be at least the pressures I have given. When i get back to the shop thursday I think I have a zuk manual, and can look it up for you.

• 2 weeks later...