Oil Check

darrelltaylor

Advice needed!

I rode the TY250 (1988) today and i noticed oil is leaking through the output shaft - Front Sprocket.

I want to know how to check the level of gearbox oil easily.

The only way i know at the moment is to take the sump guard off and drain the oil (and measure it). But is there a upper level screw somewhere to take out and fill the oil untill it overflows?

Thanks in advance,

Darrell

hi,

rode a ty for ages but never had this problem.

but they do like there gearbox oil!

there is no level plug on the crankcase so you wil have to change the oil.

i change mine every 2 months.

the ty manuel says " when changing the oil fill 750cm3. on a complete fill form dry fill to 800".

i will have to check but i beleve it needs 10w5 oil but i could be wrong. i will check tomorrow and come back to you.

max

I only have the 85-86 monos, they have a front right plug on top to measure into, but I am curious: is there indeed no plug at all? what a user unfriendly design to save a few cents per build....

can you remove the cover and drill and tap for a plug on the side at oil level, or on top to measure down to the oil level with a screwdriver?

kcj

Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

On my TY there is a front right plug to pour the oil into but i wouldnt know how high the oil should be when in the engine. So i cant use this hole to check the level. Although i can do that next time (i will replace the oil - measure it into the engine - then measure the level through the oil filler hole).

Thanks for the advice, this time i will drain the oil and replace the normal way. I guess any light gear oil is ok is that 10w5 or am i way off the mark?

Thanks

Darrell

now I understand. That plug is what the older ones have. Measure the oil in (for totally drained, or for refilled) then measure down from the top of the case with a screwdriver or tyrap to the oil level. Motorcycle must be standing stragith up and level of course. Transfer that dimension to the outside of the case with a scribe mark (or white paint mark in my case).

From then on, you just hold the screwdriver on the outside of the case with the tip at the white paint mark (or an eighth inch below it), grasp the screwdriver with your thumb resting on top of the case. Hold thumb in same position on the screwdriver, poke it into the inspection hole. Tip should go the same depth down and if there is oil on the tip of the screwdriver you are good.

Once you get used to it, you can tell by looking down into the fill plug-where the oil level is on the crank gear.

I can measure up that dimension, take a couple days.

I use ATF a lot, cheap and easy to change often. Ford Type F is too abrupt for me although you may like the feel more modern, Dexron works well and is smooth.

When you take the skid plate off, cut a slot under the drain plug so you don't have to remove it each time. I use a ratcheting 'Gear Wrench' to get the plug out. points to rear, not down, as I recall.

a. easier to change, so the oil gets changed more often. b. Skid plate on & off each time, eventually the threaded tabs on frame get stripped out. Most you can put a nut on back side, but the left rear I think is right against frame tube and cannot use a nut. No access for helicoil either.

kcj