Tell Me How To Ride This...

jza

Hey up!

I'm struggling and wanted to understand the correct technique so i can practise and get it right :wacko: Rookie mistake im sure :beer:

It involves slopes :D

I've come down a gully on a steep slope. Say 12ft high. At the bottom, i have to turn immediately and go back up the slope (up the next gully/other side of tree i came down past).

I can get the bike round the "U" ok ish..(im semi pointing up the hill but not completely there) but at the point where im starting to go up hill with the bike still turning (bikes not completely straight up the hill yet) and i need gas to drive up the hill, if i open the throttle and the front pushes out and i dab. This is on wet or dry surfaces.

I can on occasions get it right - but no idea why. If i try more gas - i do a motorcross style semi donut and then dab :D

It seems that the front has no grip as i turn up the hill... and the back gets loose if im over enthusiastic :D

Anyone help?

Jza

if you can hop the front end round or indeed the back at the bottom of the hill so you are straight, or be very smooth with the throttle and as you straighten up apply it more, again nice and smooth whilst squating down therfor pushing the back in for traction. also have your knees bent whilst turning allowing the bike to move freely in the turn.

My thoughts anyway but hey I am generally off the bike more than on :D

I was watching the better riders on Sunday do something similar, at the bottom, they simply lent back and pivot turned the front wheel as they put the power on, the front wheel seemed to hover around the turn and all the way back up the bank. I guess, the wheel can't wash out if it's in the air???

Note: I say simply, that's becasue they made it look simple. I couldn't do it. Addict will probably come on here in a minute and tell you exactly the right technique.

Your losing grip with the front tyre because its going light as you go up the hill. As Scorpa says lean a bit further back and the front wheel will float round the corner, its almost doing it now thats why its sliding. The other approach is to get the bike straight before you set off up the hill as its easier to turn on the flat.

This is how Dad would do the turn.................On the way down the hill flick the back wheel in the air so it lands 90 degrees to the bank at the bottom, as the suspension rebounds have another back wheel hop 45 degrees imediatley followed by a float of the front to straighten up. Weight well back and go.Nice!!!! couple of back wheel hops near the top for good measure.

As baldilocks and scorpa3 say, weight back and try and lift the front wheel slightly off the ground untill its straight,if its slightly touching it will push, front wheel cant washout if its in the air. Before you lift and float around the bend look for a point to aim for and look up the hill all the time (I tend to look at the tank alot) your not trying to do a wheelie though so dont snatch at the throttle or clutch or the back will spin or it will lift to much for the hill.

Edited by The Addict

Ralph on the other hand would do a 180 flick turn at the bottom followed by 20-25 totally unnecessary back wheel hops up the hill with his tongue out :wacko:

But that method sure does find some grip, I don't know where he gets it from!?! Magic stuff.

Jza, can you pivot turn? if you strugle then here is another way to try.

Tyre presure need to be right, too hard then the front and back will wash out.

Keep ya elbows out, knees bent and opened, tilt the bike into the turn slightly with 70% of your weight on the outside peg (very importent).

Push down on the outside grip (helps the front to grip) turning your shoulders with the bars.

2/3 of the way around the turn your weight should be shifting back fowards the rear but not to far though, at this point you should be looking up the hill past the turn and winding on the throttle.

Take every last cm you can on the way into the turn this will give you a chance on the exit, you do not wont to be on full lock and winding on the power.

Sorry if you are past this stage and onto the hopping and pivot turns if you are then i am talking Betty Swollocks.

But remember, look around the corner and your weight on the outside footrest.

Jza, can you pivot turn? if you strugle then here is another way to try.

Tyre presure need to be right, too hard then the front and back will wash out.

Keep ya elbows out, knees bent and opened, tilt the bike into the turn slightly with 70% of your weight on the outside peg (very importent).

Push down on the outside grip (helps the front to grip) turning your shoulders with the bars.

2/3 of the way around the turn your weight should be shifting back fowards the rear but not to far though, at this point you should be looking up the hill past the turn and winding on the throttle.

Take every last cm you can on the way into the turn this will give you a chance on the exit, you do not wont to be on full lock and winding on the power.

Sorry if you are past this stage and onto the hopping and pivot turns if you are then i am talking Betty Swollocks.

But remember, look around the corner and your weight on the outside footrest.

Nice one Ralph. I knew someone with some talent would be along to clarify the issue in the end. :wacko:

Pete, Ralph has become abit of a master at these turns of late :wacko: shame he spoils it with 7 dabs on the way down the hill and 11 going up after a nice clean turn. Bit like my 28 on section 4 yesterday

Edited by The Addict

I seem to have me come face on when ever there is a camera about.

Stop it with the fatism i am now 2nd class obese and need suport not be the butt of ya fat remarks i am on the edge.

It is not the 17 stone at all JUSTIN so there!!!!!!!!!!!! you stick man!!!!!!!

And Pete i did not think you would stoop quite as low do not let that JUSTIN pull ya down to his level with the FATISM.

Great burger van at the trial though Pete.

Any way back to the subgect, sorry Jza.

Thinking about it, the legend is the best rider out of us lot (by a fair way as well) this is how he would tackle the section...........slow controlled descent to the bottom....16 back wheel hops and 34 front wheel ones..........3 minutes balancing and re-aligning his Scott clothing out his a***.........realising hes not quite lined up quite right,reverses his way back up the hill for another go........early nineties style clean 8 minutes later :wacko: