Popping Out Of Gear

jaylael

I have a 2001 Cota that has approx. 100.000.000 miles on her an' she is popping out of 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th. Also leaks oil from between the skidplate and the cases. I think it could still be under warranty? Don't the manufacturers back their product any better than this? I tried wedging a screwdriver handle in between the skidplate and the sump but it still pops outa' gear. Maybe I should change the gearbox oil to a thicker weight? Would this eliminate the schreeching noise in the clutch when I downshift from 5th to 1st at 60 mph? Thanks in advance for your replies, Jay Lael.

Sounds like warranty work to me. On the off chance the dealer doesn't agree with us, though, maybe you could split the cases and spot weld the gears into place. You really only need one gear on a trials bike anyway. As for that annoying oil leak, don't worry about it, if you do absolutely nothing, it will stop all on its own. Hope this helps! :D Bruce

Edited by brucej

warranty sounds like a long shot, the monts come with 6 months warranty from new, if the bikes done that much work you'll be laughed at when enquiring about warranty.

As for jumping out of gear, it sounds like a bent selector shaft, as for the oil leek, could be clutch cover gasket, centre crankcase gasket, output shaft oil seal, needs a thorough strip down to locate the probs.

The bash plate is bent to the point where it is apllying pressure to the case and causing it to leak.......Remove bash plate and bash it back into original shape or replace it with new, by sure to re-installed rubber mounts to original position. not sure about the popping out of gear but more than likely its being caused by the same bent up bash plate.....MADMAX..........

Thanks for the tips. Seriously. It does pop outa' gear and it's getting worse all the time. It does leak oil like hell. I have a new skid plate and rubber and have jb welded (epoxy like glue) the leak at the center case joint several times before. It does have a gazillion miles on it. I was also just having some fun as well since I have yet to repair the dime sized piece of case that's been popped off the case in back from the kicker shaft fiasco I wrote about before. It is gonna' be time for a total strip down. Needs new cases and whatever else is wrong inside. I just don't have the time until after I finish all the Hodaka work I have planned for Hodaka days june 25th and also trying to restore my '69 Maico 250 before Chehalis national mx in August. I have a busy summer ahead and just don't want to sprawl that silly Mont. I intend to keep riding her as is until I can get to it. Thanks for the good tips and the comic relief too. Jay L. ps once I figure out for sure why it pops out of gear I'll write an update.

Edited by JayLael

• 3 weeks later...

Despite the wonderful advice from some of you helpful people, I have disassembled the poor Monty and found the problem. To make a long story short, over the incredibly large number of miles this bike has been ridden the hard coating on the end of the aluminum shift drum has worn through, and in the center groove for the shift fork there is a raised spot which shows bright aluminum and an obvious divot in the ramp area. It appears these combined flaws in the shift drum have created the binding condition. Since the shift drum does not turn freely the detent mechanism is not able to finish indexing the shift drum like it should. Since the shift is never really completed, it tends to jump out of gear. Between replacing the shift drum, cases, gaskets, seals and bearings I sould be spending quite a bit but hope to have the ole girl back to her former glory as soon as possible. Looks like I will be riding vintage class at the point event though. Jay L.

Edited by JayLael

• 4 weeks later...

Just a quick note to update this thread. The cost of all the parts I wanted was high enough to stop me in my tracks. Thanks to the kindness and generousity of the local Montesa dealer, I am now the proud owner of a 2004 Cota 315r. The '01 has been accepted in trade as a basket case. (may she rest in peace) The new Mont. is a wonderful bike. Mostly what I notice is the power! It seems as if the new one has more power. Also the front brake feels sharper and of course the suspension is perfect. Mostly I guess it's because it's new and not all worn out. At this weeks wednesday night trials I was able to put the smackdown on our Yorkshire lad on his new Yamaha 125. He was busy taking trips over the handlebars. Looked like one of those wreck videos. :hyper: A nice beginning for the new Monty.

At this weeks wednesday night trials I was able to put the smackdown on our Yorkshire lad on his new Yamaha 125. He was busy taking trips over the handlebars.

Please, please tell me somebody got a photo of Ishy going ar*e over t*t :hyper:

It was the full monty, ower the bars and bike slap you into the dirt job.

Shame no one got proof :hyper:

The lad putting on the event had a double log suspended a few foot off the ground with a downhill approach and a sweet selection of sharp rocks to land on, Raga, would have just popped up on to the first log hopping on the back wheel, quick blip ower to the next log without dropping the front end at all, then another blip down to the ground, it didn't quite happen like that for me!! in fact I don't remember very much at all, except this back wheel coming over my head.

The lad putting on the trial altered the section after a few had AOT'd it, now it was reduced to one log with a stone behind it to put your front wheel on, shame the stone was more than a front wheel away from the log, and no **** here we go again ower the bars, the foot peg tattoo cold branded into my back should be healed by may next year :D

Now I appreciate the work that goes into these event and will always thank the C off C for their hard work, but I would like to make one small suggestion for fun club events, if it looks like it will be really painful if the rider gets the section wrong, then trust me it is

Edited by ishy