Timing Recommendations

gaz

im thinkin of retarding the timing on 04 290. I know this is mainly down to rider preference, but is there joint recommended angle to retard the timing plate to? Im currently running a slow action throttle also.

Initially I retarded mine halfway (about 4mm). Then someone gave a go on their bike that had a fully retarded ignition. This was rotated to the maximum the slots in the stator would allow. I did the same to mine and it made it nice and soft at the bottom with still more than enough mid to top end power. I am assuming the 04 has the same Leonelli ignition as fiited onto my 05 290, I think it does.

Got the flywheel puller from Trialsbits.co.uk. If you need to know the size and thread pitch let me know and I will measure mine.

Copemech is your man for an answer for this as I think he has tried most settings. Not 100% sure but I think 6mm is about the limit for retarding ignition on the Sherco's. I run mine on 4mm and feel it is fine at the moment, however if I struggle in the winter with grip I may go to 5 or 6mm for a softer power delivery.

Initially I retarded mine halfway (about 4mm). Then someone gave a go on their bike that had a fully retarded ignition. This was rotated to the maximum the slots in the stator would allow. I did the same to mine and it made it nice and soft at the bottom with still more than enough mid to top end power. I am assuming the 04 has the same Leonelli ignition as fiited onto my 05 290, I think it does.

Got the flywheel puller from Trialsbits.co.uk. If you need to know the size and thread pitch let me know and I will measure mine.

If you can get me the size scraggy that would be great, I'v lost my thread guage! I suprised how cheap they are, I rang rathmells up and they quoted

is it recommended to retard the timing and use a slow action throttle, or do one or the other?

Your Pref!

As far as refinishing the fork sliders goes, I have used a rattlecan automotive "silver charcoal" color with good results after applying matching clearcoat.

For a professional job you must completely disassemble, chemical strip and polish scratches, then use professional automotive etching primer, proper color basecoat and urethane clearcoat. Best left to an auto paint pro who has the stuff! Even then, you must be sure critical areas are protected! :blink:

Edited by Slapshot 3
Fixed Quotes.....