Play In Back Arm

bowellsyboy

When i prop my bike up on a stand i have noticed that there is about an inch of play vertically in the rear wheel/swingarm, however, there is no play horizontally. I was thinking it would be the bearings, but wouldnt there be play in all directions? Ill change the bearings anyway as i dont know when they were last changed but was wondering if the problem might be with my rear shock. Has anyone had a similar problem or any advice on whats best to do. My bike it a TXT 250cc 1999.

It could be he dogbone bearings,shock bushes or the bearings under the swingarm which conect the d-link thingy,or a combination of all three.

I have a sherco,i`m assuming the gassers have a similar rear suspension setup.

I have just changed the whole lot on mine.I slight bit of play is ok but sounds like something could be worn on yours.

Edited by gasgasssser

With the age of your bike, it is very likely that the swivel bearing in the bottom of the shock will have also worn out. There are two shouldered washers that are a tight press fit into each end of this bearing. Use two screwdrivers to lever out these washers from the bearing and use a socket to help squeeze out the bearing from its housing in a vise. Use a waterproof grease, like Mobil HP (blue grease) to grease all of the bearings when re-fitting.

Bye, PeterB.