Scorpa Power?

ross154

Just gotten back into trials riding, have bought a Scorpa 02' sy250 and a Montesa 03' 315r. Both bikes are worlds ahead of the old trials bikes

I have ridden in the past, but I expected more power out of both, the Scorpa especially seems to have less off the bottom. Just wondering if these are standard traits or should I be looking for problems?

I would check where the timing is set on your scorpa as you have a choice from mild to wild(do a search of this scorpa forum and it will tell you how).Also it might have the heavy fly wheel weight on?Might also need new piston kit?

Edited by bigdamo

I would check where the timing is set on your scorpa as you have a choice from mild to wild(do a search of this scorpa forum and it will tell you how).Also it might have the heavy fly wheel weight on?Might also need new piston kit?

Checked the timing, it was in the middle position, advanced it to maximum, somewhat better. How can you tell which flywheel? I was thinking the same, maybe time for a top end kit, just haven't ridden these for years, the only thing I can compare to is my last bike, 03 yz450F, and I don't think they are in the same category.

Hi Ross,

I rode an 02 Scorpa some years back and thought the power severly lacking. Quite different to the 07 model I recently rode, that was half decent. You can move the stator plate to fully advanced, rotate clockwise to the stops! The magneto flywheel is very heavy, can't recall the exact weight but around 3,200 gms. I know that for the UK, the importers recommend a weight reduction to 2,850 gms for general riders. On an 04 bike here, the flywheel weight is down to 2,650 gms and this feels ok to me, it is still ok in the river sections with sufficient rolling power to be comfortable and has a decent amount of snap. You can reduce the weight by turning a step into the OD of the front of the flywheel.

Bye, PeterB.

Checked the timing, it was in the middle position, advanced it to maximum, somewhat better. How can you tell which flywheel? I was thinking the same, maybe time for a top end kit, just haven't ridden these for years, the only thing I can compare to is my last bike, 03 yz450F, and I don't think they are in the same category.

Try keeping that 450 in a section, you'll find that an underpowerd 250 works better. Try taking that 450 up a 30deg hill with mutiple 2' steps. You can come out alive on the underpowered 250, multiple broken bones on the 450( at least I would). No they are not in the same catagory, I bet that 450 is fun to ride though.

Alot of people buy Sherco 290 and Gas Gas 300 and then try to tame them down whats the point?I reckon The Scorpa SY250 is just right for the mere mortals who are riding clubmen and C grade.I have seen Experts riding them with no problems too and going well.