Honda Tlr Foot Rest Position

chunk

Just wondering if any of you guys that ride a tlr have changed the position of the foot pegs? if so what would you suggest, making up new plates to move pegs lower an rearward, or just weld new mounts onto the frame? i over heard a conversation the other day where one guy suggested moving 1" lower an about 2" further back, that to me looks a bit much! Over to you ,)

There is a kit available so as you do not have to cut or weld any thing, I think its supplied by Colin Leese a mate of Woodys on here. I saw it at Malvern show and its well made and easy to fit, If you send a PM to Woody he will give you details.

Yes, a kit is available for the 200 and one for the 250 is on the way, or may be available now, not sure.

Have a look on the website, link below, and then look under parts and you will see a picture of the footrest mod, Colin's number is on the site.

tyoffroad

Edited by Woody

Thanks woody, will check it out.. do you know how much the pegs have been moved? An does it really make that much difference to ride?

did this mod about 8years ago

cut off original mounts...rewelded 30mm lower. (not much point in moving mounts rearward as TLR already has a rear weight bias...too much actually)

transforms bike handling...much easier to balance, turn and control...huge improvement ...so much so that quite a number of TLR owners here in Oz copied my modification.

only slight downside is brake pedal is left a little too high...but the engine braking is so good on the TLR that back brake doesn't get used often anyway !

...anyway after the modifiaction you will wonder why Honda didn't do this when they built them

Edited by tarp

Thanks woody, will check it out.. do you know how much the pegs have been moved? An does it really make that much difference to ride?

Positioning is all down to personal preference really, how you like to ride, how tall etc. I've ridden a few TLRs and they are like most bikes from that era, too high for me leaving me hunched over the bars, but I'm over 6' so the lower the better. Don't know exactly how much they are moved with this kit but it bolts to the original footrest hangers which you should be able to see in the picture and get an idea of the distance the new mounting position is away from the original.

Colin is about 5' 8" and he says his own bike which he hasn't had chance to do yet (a 250) is not as nice to ride as the modified one

Positioning is all down to personal preference really, how you like to ride, how tall etc. I've ridden a few TLRs and they are like most bikes from that era, too high for me leaving me hunched over the bars, but I'm over 6' so the lower the better. Don't know exactly how much they are moved with this kit but it bolts to the original footrest hangers which you should be able to see in the picture and get an idea of the distance the new mounting position is away from the original.

Colin is about 5' 8" and he says his own bike which he hasn't had chance to do yet (a 250) is not as nice to ride as the modified one

Thanks again woody, will have a look at bike tonight an see which option looks best to use!. Now changing the topic i have noticed that my bike has a ally rear exhaust pipe but no centre box its connected straight to the header pipe, was wondering if this makes any difference to the performance of the bike, It as like that when i brought it, Do you need the centre box for anything ? prehaps it makes it a bit quiter? thanks

On my TLR250F I had welded a plate & installed the larger universal foot/peg kit, went down approx "1 & back same, agree with previous post, setting pegs back will lighten up the front a bit much, brake pedal isn't an issue unless you have very short feet.

The downhill engine braking with the 9tooth front sprocket & angle of foot to pedal seems to compensate well for this bike.

I also noted these mid eighties bikes(TY250 Yam mono) pegs where very high and as you age this riding position reeks havoc on baby boomer backs.

Know what ya mean! At the mo my bike is set 9 front sprocket an 46 rear, seems to work well as it makes 2-3 a nice usable gear with plenty of juice in reserve if needed. I guess i am lucky in not being to tall 5-8" so i think i will first get some wider pegs an see how that goes, then i might just lower the pegs by an 1" was thinking of some hebo pegs, any other suggestions?