Crank Case Breather Pipe On 04 Raga 300

bingo

i have an 04 raga 300, there is a pipe that comes out of the top of the crank case, quite a small pipe, is it just a breather pipe and shouldn't go anywhere, or should it be connected to something, my bike has the keihin carb which has a spare unused tube that looks like a pipe should be attatched to it.

also, should there be any kind of foam or a gasket between the fuel tank and the frame?

thanks very much!

Hello Bingo,

There is a gearbox breather that exits from the LHS of the cases, just in front of the gearbox sprocket, the end of the plastic tube should rest somewhere on top of the airbox away from water ingress. This tube should always be allowed to vent.

On the under side of the petrol tank, there are two flat areas on the outer perimiter, there should be strips of high density foam glued here, this stops the tank from vibrating on the frame tubes.

Bye, PeterB.

thanks very much peter, its my first gasser so just getting to know it a bit better, only ridden it for two hours and it over heated and pumped all the water in to the crank case, so had to rebuild the water pump, fit a new thermostat, and the clutch pipe split too just to make things worse!!! hope it gets better than this!

Thats bad news,

Make sure you drain the gearbox oil straight away as the watery mixture can swell the clutch plates. Refill with 450 to 500 ml mineral oil 10 weight or an ATF rated to Dexron III. Do not use synthetic.

Did you fit a new pump seal and shaft?

Make sure the fan comes on not too long after start up from cold, approx 1 to 2 mins. The fan usually blows quite strong like a hair dryer (not that I use one, mind you). Sounds like you have had a duff thermostat, pity. When the motors start to overheat, the carbuation tends to run weak and you can hear this from the motor - just for the next time.

Bye, PeterB.

Hi Lewis,

Do you mean the metal elbow?

If so, this should be free to rotate but not to pop out. They are usually pretty loose. From memory, the gearbox hole for this is 5.0mm OD. The elbow has one end that has a type of flared end for the plastic pipe to fit onto. The gearbox end is plain. You could try araldite to lock this into position if it's popping out lots. Was thinking you might get at the end with a knurling tool but I don't think there is sufficient length.

Bye, PeterB.

thanks for all the advice, while i have been waiting for parts to come i thought it would be a good idea to check out all the other bits while the bike was in pieces, iv'e replaced all the suspension bushes and bearings as they were all rusty and siezed, i had the middle section of the exhaust powder coated (only cost a tenner) new chain and sprockets, i fitted a whole water pump kit, i had to drill out the old brass bush as it was stuck in place! the new clutch cable is in place but it's not been bled yet, the new radiator thermostat is in place (hope this one works ok) i have water proofed all the wiring whilst waiting for parts too, i did drain the oil straight away so i hope the clutch is ok! just got to replace the oil, coolant and the clutch fluid and hope the thing starts and the fan comes on! i did check the fan on a battery to see if it worked and all was fine!

thanks for the advice!

anything else i need to know?

ade

Bummer,

I was just in Italy at the Italian GG importer and picked up a couple of the elbows for home. I did make one for a friend's bike from the vent elbow off a Kawasaki ZH250 carb, (Mikuni diaphragm carb I think), just needed to turn the diameter down a bit to fit the gasser and left a little blob piece on the end so that the vent wouldn't pop out. (That sounds terrible!)

Anyway, hope you can get one.

Ta ta, PeterB.