Rev 3 Carbon Reed Block

dan williams

If anyone's interested Ron Commo has been working with Moto Tassinari on a Vforce carbon fiber reed block for the Rev3. I managed to talk him out of the last prototype, haven't installed it yet, but Ron Sr. says they'll be in production any day now.

pictures here

http://www.newenglandtrials.org/reeds.htm

Call Ron if you want some.

http://www.usbeta.com

Dan

Theoretically...

The stock Beta reeds are fiberglass. Yeah I know they paint 'em black to look like carbon but they're not. I know because I took a set and stuck them under the microscope at work.

The carbon reeds weigh less but are stronger then fiberglass. The heavier a reed is the more air pressure must be built up behind it to open it. Also a heavier reed requires more tension to close quickly once the pressure goes away. It's a real balancing act that penalizes one range to make another stronger. The carbon reeds should require less of a compromise to make the bottom end run a little stronger and cleaner because they open at a lower pressure and close faster allowing less blowback through the carb. At high RPM the reeds stick open anyway so the only real difference is the restriction to air flow in the reed block. The Beta reed block is pretty good as it is for top end but my guess is the Moto Tassani block will let it rev out a bit further.

I'll let you know once I stick the block in my bike and run it around a bit.

Hey anything that says carbon fiber is a must have :D

A couple of years ago I walked into Commo's shop and he handed me a pair of prototype, plasma-cut, titanium brake rotors. OOoooohhhh. So light, so expensive. Needless to say he wasn't going to let me do more then look at them.

Dan