Colin Mcrae's Helecopter Crashed?

gizza5

http://news.sky.com/skynews/video/videopla...1284322,00.html

I was in the third car. An appeal was put out late last night on the SIDC Forums. Despite lack of time 20-odd Imprezas turned up at Lanark Mart at lunchtime. Due to lack of parking at the entrance of the estate we only took about 8 cars down there. Very poignant, but loads of hassle from the press.

RIP Colin. :o

header.jpg

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of my all time heroes. I have all his vids, books and grew up with him being our rally hero and regularly travelled to watch him around the UK. To also lose his son , well nowt else to say other than deeply saddened and shocked !!!! All thoughts go to his family.

Just to add a little more information on Colin McRae that is not widely known and will no doubt be of interest on this, a trials website. We all know Colin McRae as being the 1995 World Rally Champion, but he started out his motorsport career as a Scottish trials rider in the then "schoolboy" (now known as youth) ranks.

It was at the instigation of his father Jimmy, who, as a member of the Avon Valley Club was foremost a Scottish scrambles rider who actually came second in the 1969 Scottish ACU Scrambles championship riding a 25cc Y4 AJS, the winner being Roy Black on a Jimmy Morton sponsored Bultaco.

Jimmy McRae realised the benefits of his son Colin riding trials as it was an excellent way to learn about different surfaces and what can happen if you do not read the ground in front of you. There was a really nice photo made very large of Colin riding a 200cc Montesa Cota twinshock, well actually a photo of him picking the bike up having had a big five in a section. It appeared at one of the Scottish Motorcycle Shows not too many years ago. Colin was more than a little embarrased when he called in on his way home and spotted it on display at the McRobert Pavillion at Ingliston that year!

Colin did go on to win the Jack Gow Trophy for the 1981 Scottish Intermediate Trials Championship. Colin maintained an interest in the sport of trials, but never really made a comeback to it, having sampled motocross and latterly some enduros.

Colin as a youth was a member of the Lanarkshire MCC during his trials riding career.

From humble beginnings, but with the aid and assistance of his five times British Open Rally championship winning father, he went on to greater things in the four wheel arena, but that has all been spoken about in various books and publications over the years.

Rest in peace Colin, you have made a lot of Scottish people proud to be Scottish having achieved greatness in the world of motorsport.

Sincerest condolences to Jimmy and his wife Margaret who have not only lost their eldest son but also a grandchild in this terrible accident and of course not least of all to his widow and the rest of the McRae family.

Big John

Dave Richards was in a Twin Turbine EC135, Unfortunately Colin's Squirrel was a Single Turbine. RIP Colin who convinced everybody that a Brit could win the World Rally Championship when it was a real Rally Championship.(the RAC rally took in most of the UK and lasted a week). Even worse that his Son perished, Colin had "done" it all. His son had his life ahead. Sorry but kids get to me.

Edited by Telecat

What can be said when something like this happens...Tears in my eyes reading the tributes and imagining what it feels like for something like this to happen.

I can come to terms with adult deaths, as bad as it is, but the kids just breaks me up.

I wish the families all the strength in the world as they come to terms with the devastating news.

Please don't forget that another two people also died in the crash, one of which was a 6yr old boy.

I have to agree with Kinell, I didn't specifically mention above the fact that McRae family friends, 6 year old Ben Porcelli and 37 year old Graeme Duncan also perished in the accident as I was of course posting about Colin's untimely death. Nonetheless, a tragic event which affects more than just the McRae family.

Big John

Was skiing in Verbier earlier this year - the guy who had been teaching me stopped to chat to some bloke parked up on a quad when we were walking back into the village from the lift. The guy happened to be Colin who was sussing out one of the long pistes to drive UP it in a Nissan pickup the following day as a publicity stunt. He didnt make it all the way up, but lordy if you had seen what he was having a go at!!

He had evidently caused chaos the day before by setting fire to some paper napkins under his mates seat in a restaurant.

Very sad to see him gone as I think he had a Dakar win or two in him which he was in preparration for.

What can be said when something like this happens...Tears in my eyes reading the tributes and imagining what it feels like for something like this to happen.

I can come to terms with adult deaths, as bad as it is, but the kids just breaks me up.

I wish the families all the strength in the world as they come to terms with the devastating news.

My thoughts echoed exactly, could not believe it when i saw the headlines on eurosport sunday night, an incredible man and and a very sad loss, my thoughts go out to all suffering at this very tragic loss.

It was on radio1 yesterday asking people to text in and describe how they remember Colin and my first thought was "sideways!!"

I didn't follow Rally much but I loved to watch when I could. Not much coverage here.

Mostly read about it in Auto Week. I love to read stories about the Killer B's

when they ran, Ford RS200's and the like.

Several years back we lost Davey Allison the same way and I haven't been much of a NASCAR fan since.

God Speed Colin. :D