Oset 12.5 Tips

rah

newbie stampedes in where the wise fear to tread - but hoping for more ideas in this forum - here are my tips:

1. my 3.5 year old's hands were simply not big or strong enough to pull the brakes. 2 things changed this:

i) i removed the spring at the bottom of the back brake

ii) i adjusted the the little alan screws in each lever to bring the levers well within his reach.

now he can use both brakes with relative ease, even if he won't be pulling stoppies any time soon.

2. i accidentally knocked the cover off the little rheostat, next to the key slot. This allows me to dial in different speeds without using a screw driver, by simply turning the dial with my finger. I know the manual boasts that the awkwardness of accessing the screw of the rheostat is a safety feature but i found it a pain in the b^m.

what a great little bike. i ride a ktm 950 daily and a frightening mx bike now and then - i think i'll need to get a trials bike to cash in on the fun my kid's having!

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

• 6 months later...

I've seen pictures of the training wheels which fit under the footrests, but has anyone had experience with the push bike type fitted to the rear axle pin?

I was wondering if this cheaper option is worth a try?

Any comments appreciated, thanks.

I've seen pictures of the training wheels which fit under the footrests, but has anyone had experience with the push bike type fitted to the rear axle pin?

I was wondering if this cheaper option is worth a try?

Any comments appreciated, thanks.

I highly reccomend you dont use those types of trainers. Even the smallest of bumps will hang up on the wheels and make the bike incredibly unstable.

I was wondering why people use the other (footrest mounted) type.

I believe what you say but, are the rear ones really that bad?

IMO yes...

They would be ok if used on the street at the slowest setting. Even then turning will be sketchy. Look through the other posts about this. I posted a link where I only paid about $35 USD for a pair of saddle trainers

• 4 weeks later...

Heres my list of mods.....some apply to both bikes.

Body-I cut off some of the plastic that interferes with the bikes turning. You will see when you go lock to lock the forks hit the plastic. By cutting the plastic you get another inch of movement. For a lock stop I simply place a Zip Tie. Also I don

Edited by motofire

• 4 weeks later...

Oh good I am glad you found them useful.

I actually got the springs from a ACE Hardware. The springs were a lot of guesswork. I got springs that are about 1/2 the origional rate. I can tell you that they are 3" long and 1" wide. The coil size is .105 IIRC. I'll see if I can find the exact size.

My son is pretty small and I was surprosed after all the trial and error to see that such soft springs worked the best.

I agree with you about the grip diameter.