Sherpa 250 T 1972/3

thomson

Good afternoon Folks, need some assistance with the paint spec on a 1972/73 Sherpa 250T. What is the red and blue paint spec and I have a problem with the clutch dragging after replacing the plates. Can anyone help. Thanks Tommo

The following PPG paint codes are from the bultaco.com (Hugh's Bultaco) website:

Bultaco Red = Torch Red DAR 74013

Bultaco Silver = Crystal Silver Metallic DAR 34926

If adjusting the clutch doesn't help, the plates might need to be deburred. I did all that to mine, but still had a bit of clutch drag. Also stock Bultaco clutches do not like to be feathered gently, instead they grab. Although there is quite a bit of controversy, what I did was replace the 30wt engine oil in the clutch with Type F ATF. This has eliminated the drag and the grabbing issues.

Is there blue on a Sherpa T?

In UK, the red slimline tank was replaced by an alloy tank/seat unit due to fibreglass tanks becoming illegal around 1973/74. These tank units were blue/silver and used on models 91/92 - 150/151

If I knew how to show a picture I could show you one...

As for colours (UK paint that is) Ford Sunburst Red and Ford Silver Fox, 1970's colours, are commonly used as they are reckoned to be a close match for the slimline, with Ford Electric Monza Blue for the later blue Sherpa 199a.

Is there blue on a Sherpa T?

Clutch dragging? Maybe readjusting.

Maybe not but it looks a lot better with the silver frame; clutch adjusted god knows how many times. I'll try a different oil !!

I have another one roughly the same age with an alloy tank, I will keep this one to the correct spec, dont want to upset any traditionists !

If you look in either the Bultaco or Twinshock sections and do a search on Bultaco clutch, you should find a very useful piece by John Collins in setting up a Bultaco clutch - obviously it assumes that your plates and basket are in good working order.

As for colours I use what I want, couldn't care less what anyone else thinks, it's my bike. On the Sherpa, Ford Radiant Red and (I think) Moondust Silver look better than Sunburst and Silver Fox in my opinion - deeper red and and more brilliant silver. At least I think it is Moondust Silver...

I'll try a different oil !!

Forgot to mention, although someone else did I think, if you're using the standard all steel plates in your clutch then you should use 300cc ATF - Once clutch is adjusted correctly there should be no slip or drag with ATF