Can Anybody Help

mikeee

I have a late tlr 200 with a cdi ignition cannot see anyway of resetting the timing, can it be altered or is it factory set.

The reason i would like to alter it is that it kicks back a lot when I'm starting it and i can only assume the ignition timing is out?, the decompressor unit is working fine and i cannot find any other faults, any suggestion would help.

Thanks Mike.

Does it run good?

Yes it runs ok a little bit on the hot side but im told this is normal for a tlr, just supprised it kicks back so much for 200.

Yes mine runs quite hot.

You also need to watch out for the "false" kick every now and then , It's were you go to kick it and something in the engine doesn't agree and lets the kick start swing round with very little effort, and ,just like that, whoosh you end up with your leg wacked on the foot peg and tears in your eyes. ;)

;)

I have a late tlr 200 with a cdi ignition cannot see anyway of resetting the timing, can it be altered or is it factory set.

The reason i would like to alter it is that it kicks back a lot when I'm starting it and i can only assume the ignition timing is out?, the decompressor unit is working fine and i cannot find any other faults, any suggestion would help.

Thanks Mike.

Mikeee

Completely normal as has been said, you want to see the scars on my knees....

I tried a few timing settings but found that none made any difference, what did was your starting technique.

So fatboy's guide to staring a Honda: First kick of the day pull in the decomp and kick it a few times then let go and get the beast going, After that I always went with a kick or two on the decomp then released and usually went okay after that. It doesn't eliminate kickback but it minimised it in my case.

Cheers

Donald

Throw away the automatic decompressor - its a pain in the neck and a bike starts easier without it.

Fit up a cable/lever to allow a manual valve lifter to be used - much easier, you gret a better kick at the bike since you know or should know wgere the piston is when you feel though compression before starting it.

OK all you old timers.

I built a 200 cc motor with TL 125 cases and gears.

I'm terrified about tearing up the kick starter gears so...

Using a manual CR release, I ease it just past the compression stroke

and then kick it through?